5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Josiah Strong
- Teller Amendment
- Cleveland and Hawaii
- U.S.S. Oregon
- Pago Pago
- a did not want to forcibly annex Hawaii, so he waited five years to do so. McKinley finally did it, felt the annexation overstepped the federal government's power.
- b 1878 - The U.S. gained the strategic port for use in refueling U.S. warships overseas. It was part of building an international military presence.
- c argued that the American country and people were superior because they were Anglo-Saxon.
- d Warship involved in Spanish-American blockade in Cuba in 1898. Went from Cuba to the Philippines by going around the Southern tip of South America. Showed that we need a better route between the Atlantic and the Pacific.
- e April 1896 - U.S. declared Cuba free from Spain, but the Teller Amendment disclaimed any American intention to annex Cuba.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Three characteristics that the U.S. felt made them superior to other countries. Many U.S. cities in the 1900 to 1920 instituted modern "scientific" political systems, such as the use of professional city managers, to replace inefficient traditional machine politics. The U.S. tried to spread there ideas abroad.
- a note asking nations to offer assurance that they would respect the principle of equal trade opportunities, specifically in the China market.
- the U.S. mediated the end of the war. Negotiating the treaty in the U.S. increased U.S. prestige. Roosevelt received a Nobel Peace Prize for the mediation.
- Secretary of State, created the Open Door Notes
- 1917, Lessened the tension in the feuds between the U.S. and Japan by recognizing Japan's sphere of influence in China in exchange for Japan's continued recognition of the Open Door policy in China.
5 True/False Questions
Annexation of Hawaii → Republican, William McKinley defeated Democrate, Williams Bryan. The issue was imperialism.
James G. Blaine → The 1884 nomination for the Rebublican presidential candidate
Walter Reed → Discovered that the mosquito transmitted yellow fever and developed a cure. Yellow fever was the leading cause of death of American troops in the Spanish-American War.
Insular cases → Determined that inhabitants of U.S. territories had some, but not all, of the rights of U.S. citizens.
Roosevelt Corollary → U.S. would act as international policemen. An addition to the Monroe Doctrine.