5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Lansing-Ishii Agreement
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Annexation of Hawaii
- Cleveland and Hawaii
- Benjamin Tracy
- a By the late 1800s, U.S. had exclusive use of Pearl Harbor. In July 1898, Congress made it a U.S. territory, for the use of the islands as naval ports
- b In charge of the navy when the Maine crisis occurred, he had rebuilt the navy and tried to start a war with Cuba.
- c did not want to forcibly annex Hawaii, so he waited five years to do so. McKinley finally did it, felt the annexation overstepped the federal government's power.
- d United States political figure who served as Secretary of the Navy from 1889 through 1893, during the administration of U.S. President Benjamin Harrison.
- e 1917, Lessened the tension in the feuds between the U.S. and Japan by recognizing Japan's sphere of influence in China in exchange for Japan's continued recognition of the Open Door policy in China.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Queen of Hawaii who gave the U.S. naval rights to Pearl Harbor in 1887. Deposed by American settlers in 1893.
- Kept the purchase price of the canal strip in Panama the same but enlarged the area from 6 to 10 miles.
- Secretary of State, created the Open Door Notes
- The 1884 nomination for the Rebublican presidential candidate
- it specified the conditions under which the U.S. could intervene in Cuba's internal affairs, and provided that Cuba could not make a treaty with another nation that might impair its independence.
5 True/False Questions
Goethals and Gorgas → 1906 - Army colonels who supervised the construction of the Panama Canal.
San Francisco School Board Incident → 1906 - Racist schools segregated Chinese, Korean and Japanese students because of anti-oriental sentiment in California.
Virginius → 1873 - Spain and U.S. government got into a squabble over the Cuban-owned Virginius, which had been running guns. Spain executed several Americans who had been on board. The telegraph was used to negotiate a truce. The incident was played up by the yellow journalists.
U.S.S. Oregon → Discovered that the mosquito transmitted yellow fever and developed a cure. Yellow fever was the leading cause of death of American troops in the Spanish-American War.
Treaty of Paris 1898 → gave the US Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Philippines, after ending the Spanish-American war.