5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Venezuelan Crisis
- James G. Blaine
- San Francisco School Board Incident
- Open Door notes
- a a note asking nations to offer assurance that they would respect the principle of equal trade opportunities, specifically in the China market.
- b 1906 - Racist schools segregated Chinese, Korean and Japanese students because of anti-oriental sentiment in California.
- c 1902 - England, Germany and Italy had blockaded Venezuelan ports because Latin American countries failed to make payments on debts owed to foreign banks. U.S. invoked the Monroe Doctrine and pressured the European powers to back off.
- d The 1884 nomination for the Rebublican presidential candidate
- e 1873 - Spain and U.S. government got into a squabble over the Cuban-owned Virginius, which had been running guns. Spain executed several Americans who had been on board. The telegraph was used to negotiate a truce. The incident was played up by the yellow journalists.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Republican, William McKinley defeated Democrate, Williams Bryan. The issue was imperialism.
- 1906 - Army colonels who supervised the construction of the Panama Canal.
- In 1890, he wrote The Influence of Sea Power upon History. He was a proponent of building a large navy. He said that a new, modern navy was necessary to protect the international trade America depended on.
- April 1896 - U.S. declared Cuba free from Spain, but the Teller Amendment disclaimed any American intention to annex Cuba.
- Secretary of State, created the Open Door Notes
5 True/False questions
Democracy, efficiency, pragmatism → Three characteristics that the U.S. felt made them superior to other countries. Many U.S. cities in the 1900 to 1920 instituted modern "scientific" political systems, such as the use of professional city managers, to replace inefficient traditional machine politics. The U.S. tried to spread there ideas abroad.
Platt Amendment → it specified the conditions under which the U.S. could intervene in Cuba's internal affairs, and provided that Cuba could not make a treaty with another nation that might impair its independence.
American anit-imperialist league → A league containing anti-imperialist groups; it was never strong due to differences on domestic issues. Isolationists.
Clayton-Bulwer Treaty → Kept the purchase price of the canal strip in Panama the same but enlarged the area from 6 to 10 miles.
U.S.S. Oregon → Discovered that the mosquito transmitted yellow fever and developed a cure. Yellow fever was the leading cause of death of American troops in the Spanish-American War.