5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The two principal centers of nineteenth century ballet were France and:
- What 20th century Hungarian composer combined folk music elements with European classical style?
- In the Classical multimovement cycle, the third movemet is usually in:
- The three main sections of sonata-allegro form are the exposition, development, and:
- How many bars is in the standard blues song repeating pattern?
- a Russia.
- b Twelve.
- c Bela Bartok
- d Minuet and trio form.
- e Recapitulation.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The trumpet.
- The piano.
- The name of Christ is mentioned throughout.
- The man who first cataloged his works.
5 True/False questions
Dido sings her famous lament in Purcell's opera Dido and Aeneas just prior to: → A ground bass.
Total abandonment of tonality (centering in a key). Atonal music moves from one level of dissonance to another, without areas of relaxation. → A half-step.
Which is true of Schubert's Erlking? → It is the masterpiece of his youth, it is based on the legend that whoever is touched by the kind of the elves must die, and it presents four characters who are differentiated in the music.
Water Music by Handel is best described as a: → The oratorio.
Tendency to elevate formal above expressive value in music, as in Neoclassical music. → Formalism.