5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Which of the following is NOT a type of orchestral program music?
- Rapid-fire, talky singing whose primary function is to advance the plot in an opera is called:
- The solo instrument in Spring from The Four Seasons is:
- A slight drop of pitch on the third, fifth, or seventh note of the scale, common in blues and jazz. Also "bent pitch."
- Which best describes absolute music?
- a Concerto.
- b "Blue" note.
- c The violin.
- d Music without a story or text.
- e Recitative.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The text describes a faun, a mythological creature of the forest that is half man, half goat. This "simple sensuous passionate being" awakes in the woods and tries to remember: was he visited by three lovely nymphs, or was this but a dream? He will never know. The sun is warm, the earth fragrant. He curls himself up and falls into a wine-drugged sleep.
- Gilda, Rigoletto's daughter.
- A surprise loud chord is played in the slow movement.
5 True/False questions
Who was the King of Ragtime? → Scott Joplin.
The most important keyboard instrument of the Romantic period was: → The symphony.
The new pre-Classical "sensitive" style, which saw the first stirrings of Romanticism, was called: → Her wish for her husband to return.
George Frederic Handel was considered master of: → The oratorio.
The simultaneous use of two or more keys, common in twentieth-century music. → Martin Luther.