5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- ^ ^ Doing work?
- Whats a wheel and axle?
- ^ ---> Doing work?
- what is a machine's mechanical advantage? if i say a machine has a mechanical advantage of 20, what does that mean?
- If machines do not reduce the amount of work being done, how do they help us?
- a a simple machine that is made of a circular object connected to a rod.
- b Machines can change the size of the input force necessry. Also, they can change the direction of the force, which is especially helpfulo when we are trying to life somthing.
- c No
- d Yes
- e it means that the machine multiplies the force you put into it twenty times. so, if the machine multiplies the force by 20, you would only have to put in a small amount of force to do a large amount of work.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- No, the same amount of work is done, whether you do it yourself, or use a machine.
- simple machine that is made of a wheel with a groove in it and a rope. it is usually used to life heavy objects.
- a simple machine that has a fulcrum, or pivot point.
- No. work is only done when the object moves. if the object doesnt move, no matter how much force you put on it, it isnt work.
5 True/False Questions
if you throw a ball, are you doing work? Explain. → No. work is only done when the object moves. if the object doesnt move, no matter how much force you put on it, it isnt work.
what is a screw? → a double inclined plane that moves.
What is the fulcrum of a lever? → stays still, like the middle of a seesaw.
What is the formula to calculating work? → W= F x D, the unit Joule
What is "power", scientifically speaking? → the rate at which work is done.