5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is the formula to calculating work?
- What is the fulcrum of a lever?
- Whats a wheel and axle?
- if you are carrying a suitcase,are you doing work on the suitcase? why or why not?
- what is a machine?
- a a simple machine that is made of a circular object connected to a rod.
- b W= F x D, the unit Joule
- c a device that helps make work easier by changing the size or direction of a force.
- d stays still, like the middle of a seesaw.
- e No. you are doing work on it when you pick it up, b/c when you pick it up, the direction of the movement of the object is the same as the direction of the force you are putting on it.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- simple machine that is made of a wheel with a groove in it and a rope. it is usually used to life heavy objects.
- No. work is only done when the object moves. if the object doesnt move, no matter how much force you put on it, it isnt work.
- pushing a piece of heavy furniture up a ramp requires less input force, from you, than just lifting it up.
- you are only doing work on the ball as long as you are directly putting a force on it, in other words, when you are touching it.
- Work happens when a force causes an object to move in the same direction of that force.
5 True/False Questions
^ ---> Doing work? → Yes
does a machine reduce the amount of work that is being done? Explain. → Machines can change the size of the input force necessry. Also, they can change the direction of the force, which is especially helpfulo when we are trying to life somthing.
What two things do we need to know to calculate work? → we need to know the size of the force that was put on the object, and how far the object moved.
what is a machine's mechanical advantage? if i say a machine has a mechanical advantage of 20, what does that mean? → is a measure of how much of a machines energy is wasted, overcoming friction. No machine is 100% efficient, becuase there are always surfaces rubbing together.
example of a wheel and axle. → a simple machine that is made of a circular object connected to a rod.