5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Major Battles
- John Jacob Astor
- "54 40 or fight!"
- Zachary Taylor
- a Monterey, Buena Vista, Vera Cruz, Mexico City
- b The slogan of the War Hawks in Congress as we were trying to decide the boundary of Oregon with Great Britain.
- c Called "Old Rough and Ready" by his troops during the Mexican War
He never lost a battle and was beloved by his troops
he later became president of the U.S
- d Group of people who believed that men could have more than one wife. They settled around the Salt lake City, Utah area and made it flourish. 12,000 Mormons went to Salt Lake City-- the largest migration in American history.
- e established a fur trading settlement in Oregon at Fort Astoria and became one of the wealthiest men in America
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Period in American History beginning in 1849 when thousands of people went out west looking for their fortune; helped to settle the west.
- Famous American scout and frontiersman known for his coonskin cap.
Leader of the Tennessee Volunteers
Killed at the Alamo
- Get Oregon
Smash National Bank
accomplished all this while serving only one term.
our hardest working president.
- Texas was called this when it was a country from 1836 to 1845
- Winfield Scott marched 300 miles from Vera Cruz to Mexico City; there he waged a three-week siege; Winfield Scott defeated Santa Anna's army; this ended the Mexican War.
5 True/False Questions
James Marshall → Discovered gold on John Shutters property; this began the Gold Rush.
Why wasn't Texas admitted as a state? → Because it would upset the balance in the Senate between the slave states and the free states.
Election of 1844 → James Knox Polk from Tennessee was elected president; first dark-horse candidate who is unknown who runs for political office.
Treaty of Guadalupe → It ended the Mexican War; provisions -- 1. The U.S. paid 15 million dollars for the Mexican Cession 2. the boundary for the U.S. was the Rio Grande River.
Jim Bowie → Famous American hero and frontiersmen known for inventing the Bowie Knife
Most famous knife fighter in American History
Killed at the Alamo