5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- The Gentlemen's Agreement
- Causes and effects of the clashes between Native Americans and White Settlers
- Interstate Commerce Act
- Angel Island
- a Population Growth led to a HIGH demand for goods which needed to be produced faster and faster. People used to spin wool and weave cloth at home, that wasn't fast enough to keep up with the demand of groups of people; led to mills and factories.
- b Passed in 1887, this act reestablished the federal government's right to supervise railroad activities.
- c They had clashing cultures. Natives believed no one owned land while Settlers believed that everything could be bought and sold. They also believed they were the superior race and were scared of Natives. Settlers "Americanized" Natives and the Native American culture diminished because of it.
- d Inspection station for immigrants arriving on the West Coast
- e Process of assimilating immigrants into American culture by teaching English, American history, and citizenship
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- ..., Leader of the Democratic Tammany Hall, New York political machine, was the Democratic Party political machine that played a major role in controlling New York City politics from the 1790s to the 1960s. It usually controlled Democratic Party nominations and patronage; immigrant support
- the social process whereby cities grow and societies become more urban
- Prominent black American, born into slavery, who believed that racism would end once blacks acquired useful labor skills and proved their economic value to society, was head of the Tuskegee Institute in 1881. His book "Up from Slavery."
- King George unfairly taxed citizens and took advantage of their distance. He believed that he should make decisions for the colonists even though he didn't know what was best for them.
After America gained independence, Thomas Jefferson, along with others, wrote the Declaration of Independence in 1776.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, founded in 1909 to work for racial equality
5 True/False Questions
Thomas Jefferson → 1896, supreme court ruled that segregation public places facilities were legal as long as the facilites were equal
Three regions where America emerged → Passed in 1887, this act reestablished the federal government's right to supervise railroad activities.
15th Amendment → Gave African American men the right to vote, this made women upset because they can't vote
Push and Pull Factors → the social process whereby cities grow and societies become more urban
Impact of the Homestead Act → Passed in 1887, this act reestablished the federal government's right to supervise railroad activities.