5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- 14th Amendment
- Causes and effects of the clashes between Native Americans and White Settlers
- The significance of the first ten amendments to the Constitution
- The Declaration of Independence
- Three regions where America emerged
- a The first ten amendments to the Constitution were all adopted at the same time and are collectively known as the Bill of Rights.
The 1st Amendment protects the people's right to practice religion, to speak freely, to assemble, to petition the government, and of the press to publish.
The 2nd Amendment protects the right to own guns.
The 3rd Amendment guarantees that the army cannot force homeowners to give them room and board.
The 4th Amendment protects the people from the government improperly taking property, papers, or people, without a valid warrant based on probable cause.
The 5th Amendment protects people from being held for committing a crime unless they are properly indicted.
The 6th Amendment guarantees a speedy trial, an impartial jury, that the accused can confront witnesses against them, and that the accused must be allowed to have a lawyer.
The 7th Amendment guarantees a jury trial in federal civil court cases.
The 8th Amendment guarantees that punishments will be fair, and not cruel.
The 9th Amendment is simply a statement that other rights aside from those listed may exist, and just because they are not listed doesn't mean they can be violated.
The 10th Amendment is the subject of some debate, but essentially it states that any power not granted to the federal government belongs to the states or to the people.
- b They had clashing cultures. Natives believed no one owned land while Settlers believed that everything could be bought and sold. They also believed they were the superior race and were scared of Natives. Settlers "Americanized" Natives and the Native American culture diminished because of it.
- c Guaranteed the rights of citizenship to ALL citizens
- d * Asia (Native Americans)
* came to hunt herds
* created complex societies
* couldn't resist colonization
* drastic population decline
* Europe (British, Spanish, and others)
* British came for a new start
* seeking freedom, wealth, and land
* Spanish, Portugese, and French weren't trying to escape, unlike British persecution
* forced to migrate as labor
* lost all connection to Africa
* part of the African Diaspoa
- e *Written by Thomas Jefferson and signed in 1776
*Originally included a clause allowing the freeing of slaves, but it was cut out
*A call for all humankind to throw off tyranny and form a government of the people
*Lays the foundation for our herritage of individual liberty and natural rights
*A list of complaints about King George's treatment of the colinsts,
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- 1905 - Also known as IWW or Wobblies - created in opposition to American Federation of Labor
- Inspection station for immigrants arriving on the West Coast
- Cheap products shipped to other countries from the US made their economies fail.
- A clause in registration laws allowing people who do not meet registration requirements to vote if they or their ancestors had voted before 1867.
- King George unfairly taxed citizens and took advantage of their distance. He believed that he should make decisions for the colonists even though he didn't know what was best for them.
After America gained independence, Thomas Jefferson, along with others, wrote the Declaration of Independence in 1776.
5 True/False Questions
Plessy v. Ferguson → 1896, supreme court ruled that segregation public places facilities were legal as long as the facilites were equal
Struggles of Immigrants → Inspection station for immigrants arriving on the East Coast
Social Darwinism → A theory that humans evolved from monkeys, introduced by Charles Darwin, turns into survival of the fittest. To the government, this justified big businesses dominating small businesses and taking over the market.
Causes of Industrial Revolution → Many efficient inventions were made and products became easier to produce. People moved from the country to the city and technology spread to more homes.
Boss Tweed and Tamany Hall → Freed all slaves