5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Justinian's Code
- Queen Isabella of Spain
- King Leopold II
- a The application of machinery to manufacturing and other activities. Among the first processes to be mechanized were the spinning of cotton thread and the weaving of cloth in late-eighteenth- and early-nineteenth-century England.
- b The monarch who unified Spain and sponsored the sea exploration voyages including those of Columbus
- c King of Belgium (r. 1865-1909). He was active in encouraging the exploration of Central Africa and became the infamous ruler of the Congo Free State (to 1908).
- d Laws of the Byzantine Empire based on the twelve tables of Roman law, became a basis for laws in many European nations
- e group of Germanic people who rose to prominence under the leadership of King Clovis
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a large hill in ancient Greece where city residents sought shelter and safety in times of war and met to discuss community affairs
- wrote "Leviathan" and believed people were naturally cruel, greedy, and selfish; he also believed only a powerful governemnt could keep an orderly society
- US warship blown up in Havana Harbor off the coast of Cuba. The Spanish were blamed and war was declared. Beginning of the Spanish American War.
- Muslim navigational instrument that helped exploration by helping sailors find latitude and longitude
- founder of Islam
5 True/False Questions
Abu Bakr → first caliph after death of muhammad
Leonardo da Vinci → Spanish conquistador who defeated the Aztecs and conquered Mexico (1485-1547)
Hijrah → Arabic word for God
Mecca → the holiest city of Islam; Muhammad's birthplace
Caliph → The civil and religious leader of a Muslim state considered to be a representative of Allah on earth, successor to the Prophet.