5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Vasco da Gama
- Roman Senate
- a Members of the lower class of Ancient Rome including farmers, merchants, artisans and traders
- b Adopted son of Julius Caesar. Defeats Marc Antony to become Rome's 1st Emperor.
- c first Greek-speaking people; invaded Minoans; dominated Greek world 1400 B.C. to 1200 B.C.; sea traders; lived in separate city-states; invovled in Trojan War against Troy
- d Portuguese explorer. In 1497-1498 he led the first naval expedition from Europe to sail to India.
- e a group of 300 men who served for life oversaw the everyday operations of the Roman government
5 Multiple choice questions
- Laws of the Byzantine Empire based on the twelve tables of Roman law, became a basis for laws in many European nations
- Overthrew French Directory in 1799 and became emperor of the French in 1804. Failed to defeat Great Britain and abdicated in 1814. Returned to power briefly in 1815 but was defeated and died in exile.
- Muslims from Spain
- The love of one's country; the passion that inspires a person to serve his or her country. American term for Nationalism.
- 1st Emperor of the Roman Empire
5 True/False questions
Hernando Cortes → Spanish conquistador who defeated the Aztecs and conquered Mexico (1485-1547)
The Black Hand → A Serbian terrorist organization dedicated to the creation of a pan-Slavic kingdom. Responsible for the assassination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand.
Natural Rights → the idea that all humans are born with rights, which include the right to life, liberty, and property
Arch Duke Francis Ferdinand → The exchange of plants, animals, diseases, and technologies between the Americas and the rest of the world following Columbus's voyages.
King Henry VIII → King of Belgium (r. 1865-1909). He was active in encouraging the exploration of Central Africa and became the infamous ruler of the Congo Free State (to 1908).