5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Vasco da Gama
- William Shakespeare
- The Black Hand
- a founder of Islam
- b Arabic word for God
- c A Serbian terrorist organization dedicated to the creation of a pan-Slavic kingdom. Responsible for the assassination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand.
- d English poet and dramatist considered one of the greatest English writers (1564-1616)
- e Portuguese explorer. In 1497-1498 he led the first naval expedition from Europe to sail to India.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- King of Belgium (r. 1865-1909). He was active in encouraging the exploration of Central Africa and became the infamous ruler of the Congo Free State (to 1908).
- Laws of the Byzantine Empire based on the twelve tables of Roman law, became a basis for laws in many European nations
- English philosopher who advocated the idea of a "social contract" in which government powers are derived from the consent of the governed and in which the government serves the people; also said people have natural rights to life, liberty and property.
- Frankish King who defeated muslims in battle of tours in 751 and ended muslim threat to western europe
- The application of machinery to manufacturing and other activities. Among the first processes to be mechanized were the spinning of cotton thread and the weaving of cloth in late-eighteenth- and early-nineteenth-century England.
5 True/False Questions
Sacraments → Sacred rituals of the Roman Catholic Church
Shiah → a Greek epic poem (attributed to Homer) describing the siege of Troy
Social Hierarchy → Adopted son of Julius Caesar. Defeats Marc Antony to become Rome's 1st Emperor.
Imperialism → Members of the lower class of Ancient Rome including farmers, merchants, artisans and traders
Julius Caesar → Roman military and political leader. He was instrumental in the transformation of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire. Dictator for life.