5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- King James Bible
- Vasco da Gama
- a English Bible completed by scholars in 1611 is the most popular version of the Bible in history.
- b Muhammad's flight from Mecca to Medina in A. D. 622; this event marks the beginning of the Muslim calendar
- c The civil and religious leader of a Muslim state considered to be a representative of Allah on earth, successor to the Prophet.
- d Portuguese explorer. In 1497-1498 he led the first naval expedition from Europe to sail to India.
- e Trained fighters, usually slaves, who fought in Roman arenas as entertainment.
5 Multiple choice questions
- stopped Vikings and unified Anglo-Saxon kingdom to put up a united front against the Vikings; only English king with the title "Great"
- the holiest city of Islam; Muhammad's birthplace
- Emperor of Rome (284-305) who divided the empire into east and west (286) in an attempt to rule the territory more effectively. His desire to revive the old religion of Rome led to the last major persecution of the Christians (303).
- Country with its own government but under the control of an outside power
- the earliest written Roman laws that became the foundation of Roman law
5 True/False questions
Queen Isabella of Spain → The monarch who unified Spain and sponsored the sea exploration voyages including those of Columbus
Astrolabe → The famous prison whose storming on July 14, 1789 is often marked as the beginning of the French Revolution
Marie Antoinette → German monk who became one of the most famous critics of the Roman Catholic Chruch. In 1517, he wrote 95 theses, or statements of belief attacking the church practices.
Settlement Colony → Type of colony created by transporting large numbers of people to live in an area.
Vassal → person granted land from a lord in return for services