5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Resource, or allocation disputes:
- exclaves (political)
- a a portion of a state that is separated from the main territory and surrounded by another country
- b all of the associations, formal and informal, that help people get along together
- c the tendency for an ethnic group to see itself as a distinct nation with a right to autonomy or independence. This is a fundamental centrifugal force promoting devolution.
- d involve natural resources—such as mineral deposits, fertile farmland or rich fishing groups - that lie in the border area.
- e division (or failure) of a state based on ethnic or cultural identity (ethnic or cultural politics)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the process of establishing political, social, and economic dominance over a colonized area
- a state whose territory is long and narrow
- a state that lacks a seacoast
- n ethnic group that shares a well-developed sense of belonging to the same culture. That identify is based on a unique mixture of language, religion and customs. If a state contains strong ethnic groups with identities that differ from those of the majority, it can threaten the territorial integrity of the state itself.
- a state whose territory contains isolated parts, separated and discontinuous
5 True/False Questions
integration → all of the associations, formal and informal, that help people get along together
federal → a political-territorial system wherein a central government represents the various entities within a nation-state where they have common interests - defense, foreign affairs, and the like - yet allows these various entities to retain their own identities and to have their own laws, policies and customs in certain spheres.
government → leadership and institutions that make policy decisions for a country
ethnic cleansing → the killing or forcible relocation of one traditional or ethnic group by a more powerful one
exclusive economic zone (EEZ) → Economic inequalities may destabilize a nation-state particularly if the inequalities are regional. Do the economic differences, particularly to the more economic prosperous, give this area more political power. Italy and Spain have had these kinds of economic problems. This could happen in the EU, especially with the Euro.