← history 24/25 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Brown v Board of Education 1954
- civil rights act
- James G Blaine
- Crédit Mobilier
- Poll tax
- a Conferred on blacks the privilege of american citizenship and struck at black codes. Vetoed by johnson, overridden by republicans.
- b Led the half breeds and was a personable congressmen with a good memory. Had a good speaking voice and was inclined to demagoguery in pursuit of office. Took advantage of irish and republican voting blocs by shouting about britain and the war though he didn't fight in the war. Became secretary of state and fought to stop the stalwarts from taking offices. Decided to run for president but his mulligan letters that he had dealigns with a boston businessman involving a S railroad. Mugwumps stop supporting him. Loses election in NY when a priest of his denounces catholics and makes him ose to Irish.
- c Railroad construction company formed by insiders of transcontinental union pacific railway. Hired themselves to build line and paid themselves as much as 50000 a mile for construction that cost only 30000 a mile. Paid dividends of 348 percent and distributed stock to congressmen to stop them from blowing the whistle. Exposed by NY newspaper.
- d fee that people in the S had to pay in order to be able to vote
- e Decision where Earl warren and other judges unanimously write opinion that separate but equal is inherently unequal in verdict. Mary Brown and NCAAP fight unequal education.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- attorney for NAACP in brown v board of education.
- 9 african americans challenge unconstitutional jim crow laws.
- Name given to the fact that the South is completely democrat and doesn't change.
- Idea that S has seceded and committed suicide as republican states. Therefore states gave up rights and have to be admitted as conquered provinces.
- Idea that it is constitutional for races to be separated as long as they have equal opprotunity.
5 True/False Questions
Jim Fisk → Hanging by a mob, usually of a black person in the South. Comes from farm owner lynch who hung slaves and left bodies for others to see.
moderate/radical republican → Majority want to admit seceding states into union swiftly, though on congress's own terms. Minority want S to suffer severely. Social structure uprooted, planters punished, and helpless blacks protected by federal power.
radical regimes → Little rock high school that has the little rock nine.
Cheap Money → Writes lots of african books and malcolm X. GRows up in Tennessee and family has a business so he gets educated. Sent to segregated black schools and goes to N schools. Serves in segregated military. Writes letters for people and is known as a writer for magazines. Writes roots on his ancestors history in Africa. Soon made to a TV show. Said college education in black school is 8th grade education elsewhere.
Thomas Nast → Wrote a cartoon that made Tweed look bad though offered a bribe.