5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Loose sentence
- Begging the question
- Subordinate Conjunction
- a Makes an independent clause into a dependent clause. (because, since, which, if, when, although)
- b An independent clause followed by all sorts of debris. "She wore yellow ribbon that matched the shingles of the house, which were painted last year, just before he left for the war."
- c Own vocabulary or pattern of speech for a particular group
- d Ending of a series of lines, phrases, etc with the same word or words. "This government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from this earth."
- e Speaker states a claim that includes a word or phrase that needs better definition. "Because of these extreme conditions, I need..." WHAT MAKES THE CONDITIONS EXTREME?!
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Omission of conjunctions from a series of related clauses. "All the orcs ate food, broke the dishes, trashed the hall, beat the dogs to the shower."
- Argument that distracts the reader by raising irrelevant issues. Too many suspects in a murder mystery
- Noun phrase that modifies noun next to it. "The dragon, a large creature with glittering scales, bit.."
- A verb ending in -ing that serves as a noun
- Fallacy of argumentation argues that one thing inevitably leads to another. Politicians use it a lot
5 True/False Questions
Oxymoron → Study of origin of words and historical uses
Irony → Words used to express something other than and often the opposite of the literal meaning. Verbal-contrast between what is said and what is meant. Situational-contrast between what happens and what was expected. Dramatic-contrast between what the character thinks and what the reader knows.
Fallacy → Rules of grammar that define a passage
Juxtaposition → Making one idea more dramatic by placing it next to its opposite. "My goodness is often chastened by my sense of sin"
False dilemma → Either/or fallacy aka the fallacy of the excluded middle. "There are only two options in gun control: when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."