5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Straw Man
- Loose sentence
- a Combination of two or more elements in a sentence by use of a verb or noun. "She dashed his hopes and out of his life when she walked through the door."
- b the last word of the clause begins the next clause. Ex "The Furies pursued the men. The men.."
- c A person engaging in an argument defines the opponent's position without them present. Politicians use it a lot
- d formal term of verb that conveys meaning or carries action "the fair maiden AWAKENED"
- e An independent clause followed by all sorts of debris. "She wore yellow ribbon that matched the shingles of the house, which were painted last year, just before he left for the war."
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- "it does not follow" Argument by misdirection and is logically irrelevant
- an appeal to emotion
- An appeal to reason, logic of an argument.
- Ending of a series of lines, phrases, etc with the same word or words. "This government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from this earth."
- Speaker states a claim that includes a word or phrase that needs better definition. "Because of these extreme conditions, I need..." WHAT MAKES THE CONDITIONS EXTREME?!
5 True/False Questions
Understatement → Creates an exaggeration by showing restraint. The opposite of a hyperbole
Asyndeton → Omission of conjunctions from a series of related clauses. "All the orcs ate food, broke the dishes, trashed the hall, beat the dogs to the shower."
Oxymoron → Study of origin of words and historical uses
Parallelism → similar to chiasmus. "common sense is not so common", "The demon descended in a crowd toward a village now afraid of the demon"
Deductive → Noun phrase that modifies noun next to it. "The dragon, a large creature with glittering scales, bit.."