5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Periodic Sentence
- Slippery Slope (domino Theory)
- a Rhythm of repetition that includes parallel sets of sentences or parallel clauses. "We will fight them in the forests, and fight them in the hills, and in the villages of the dell."
- b the last word of the clause begins the next clause. Ex "The Furies pursued the men. The men.."
- c The reversal of natural order of words in a sentence. "The poisoned apple she ate to her gave cramps of a serious nature."
- d a sentence with several dependent clauses that precede the independent clause
- e Fallacy of argumentation argues that one thing inevitably leads to another. Politicians use it a lot
5 Multiple choice questions
- "it does not follow" Argument by misdirection and is logically irrelevant
- Omission of conjunctions from a series of related clauses. "All the orcs ate food, broke the dishes, trashed the hall, beat the dogs to the shower."
- formal term of verb that conveys meaning or carries action "the fair maiden AWAKENED"
- A verb ending in -ing that serves as a noun
- Either/or fallacy aka the fallacy of the excluded middle. "There are only two options in gun control: when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
5 True/False questions
Fallacy → An appeal to reason, logic of an argument.
Understatement → Associations or moods with certain words that can either be negative, positive, or neutral. Deals with author's tone and intention to choose certain diction.
Jargon → an appeal to emotion
Synthesis → Observation or claim that is opposition of author's original claim. If we argue for drilling of wells, the antithesis is diverting water from river.
Etymology → Study of origin of words and historical uses