5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Smoke Shell
- La Venta
- a He built the Copán Acropolis, one of the last major accomplishments of the Mayans; he married a princess from Palenque
- b The Maya built another ceremonial center at this site
- c A city-state in the Valley of Mexico
- d The development of this technology allowed better timing of planting and had important religious significance; the Maya computed this through 2012 A.D.
- e After the collapse of San Lorenzo; this site became the center of the Olmec civilization until it, and the civilization, collapsed around 400 B.C.
5 Multiple choice questions
- "The material used to make balls; the Olmec were given their name from the word for ""Dwellers in the land of"" this material"
- Courtyards were built for games involving these objects; it is probable that either the winners or losers of games played with these became human sacrifices; trees needed to produce this were common to Mesoamerica
- The Maya built a ceremonial center at this site
- A letter in a hieroglyphic alphabet
- Built by the Mayans, it survived the collapse of their civilization probably because of its ties with the Toltecs; it's temple was aligned with the sun at the equinoxes
5 True/False questions
fertility → Too much of this in the population and not enough in the soil led to the decline of the Mayans
Pacal → They mummified their dead and made art that could only be fully seen from the air
Moche → Their culture began on the northern coast of Peru around 1 A.D.; they had no written language but did build cities and irrigation canals; like the Mesopotamians they built mud-brick buildings; they built pyramids to bury their kings like the Egyptians; their pyramids include the 525' tall Pyramid of the Sun and the Pyramid of the Moon; they had advanced crafts and metalworking; they practiced human sacrifice
Jaguar → The Maya worshipped this predator
Yucatan → The peninsula where the Maya lived.