5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Rousseau's somewhat conflicting views in female nature illustrate...
- An important implication of the Newtonian system was that...
- The statement that best expresses the philosophes' attitude toward slavery:
- The French Physicrats represented an economic school of thought that believed...
- The philosophes did not advocate the violent overthrow of a nation's government because...
- a ...violence and tumult were contrary to human reason
- b ...the idea that men and women should receive an identical education
- c ...that the real wealth of society comes from the land and agricultural production
- d ...the reconciliation of faith and science was an impossibility
- e Slavery had corrupted its victims and so slaves were not ready for freedom
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- ...legitimate government authority is conditional and contractual
- ...combined evidence from nature in order to draw conclusions
- ...fashioned from coffee houses, Masonic lodges, and a flourishing book trade
- ...it portrayed characters that seem relevant to the middle-class experience
5 True/False Questions
The Classical style of music that swept Europe after 1750... → ...fashioned from coffee houses, Masonic lodges, and a flourishing book trade
Eighteenth century "elightened monarchs" of all types insisted that state sovereignty rested with the... → ...monarchy
The natural philosopher who had perhaps the greatest influence on the 18th century philosophers → Mercantilism
The "invisible hand" of Adam Smith could best guide economic activity because... → ...all humans are rational and are the best judges of their own interests
According to Rousseau, freedom meant... → ...equal citizens obeyed laws they had made themselves