5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The numbers of sunspots and their activity peak about every:
- The part of the Sun we actually see is called:
- Spectral Analysis can tell us...
- Traveling OUTWARD from the surface, the main regions of the solar atmosphere are the _______, the _______, and the ________.
- a What elements are present, but only in Chromosphere and Photosphere
- b Chromosphere
- c Transition from Photosphere to Corona
- d Eleven years
- e the Photosphere
5 Multiple choice questions
- Field lines twist and break, creating heat as solar storms
- Sheets of ejected gas.
*Unlike flares, these last weeks!
- Because its very large
- Occasionally field lines burst out of the surface and loop, thereby creating a sunspot pair.
- Cool spots that emerge from beneath the sun's surface.
*appear darker because they are cooler (but are still very hot)
*They are complex and magnetic
*Come and go in pairs
*Linked by magnetic field lines
*Shift polarity every 11 years
5 True/False questions
Coronal Mass Ejection → Holes in the corona from which solar wind escapes
Solar Wind → Large explosion on the surface of the sun when hot gas breaks free of the magnetic field
* emits energy
*lasts only seconds, unlike longer prominences (but smaller and more violent)
*can knock out electricity
Solar Constant → The outward flow of charged particles leaving the Sun
Areas around sun spots are extremely... → Occasionally field lines burst out of the surface and loop, thereby creating a sunspot pair.
What do mathematic models provide us with? → Info of the Sun's interior