5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Convection Zone
- Sun Spot Cycle
- Sun Spots
- How are Sun Spots created?
- a 11 year period during which the # of sunspots rise and fall
*The high point in the cycle=largest corona
- b Cool spots that emerge from beneath the sun's surface.
*appear darker because they are cooler (but are still very hot)
*They are complex and magnetic
*Come and go in pairs
*Linked by magnetic field lines
*Shift polarity every 11 years
- c The visible surface of the Sun. Creates visible light!
- d Transfers radiation from nuclear fusion outward through CONVECTION
- e Occasionally field lines burst out of the surface and loop, thereby creating a sunspot pair.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Short-lived narrow jets of gas that last only minutes
- Because its very large
- From the fraction of energy that reaches Earth
- The core is super hot, but it gets cooler until you reach the transition zone, where the temperature suddenly increases dramatically!
- Field lines twist and break, creating heat as solar storms
5 True/False questions
Traveling OUTWARD from the surface, the main regions of the solar atmosphere are the _______, the _______, and the ________. → Convection
Solar Wind → Large explosion on the surface of the sun when hot gas breaks free of the magnetic field
* emits energy
*lasts only seconds, unlike longer prominences (but smaller and more violent)
*can knock out electricity
Solar Flare → The outward flow of charged particles leaving the Sun
Core → Where nuclear fusion takes place
The most abundant element in the Sun? → Hydrogen