← The Sun Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Random Walk
- Solar Flare
- a Large explosion on the surface of the sun when hot gas breaks free of the magnetic field
* emits energy
*lasts only seconds, unlike longer prominences (but smaller and more violent)
*can knock out electricity
- b The random process of photon movement through the radiation zone to the convection zone.
- c Hot atmosphere around the Sun
*Visible only during total solar eclipse, when both the photosphere and the chromosphere are obscured by the Moon.
*B/C its so hot, must have internal heat source (electromag interaction?)
- d Total energy radiated by the Sun. NOT BRIGHTNESS!
- e The visible surface of the Sun. Creates visible light!
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The measurement of average kinetic energy in molecules. NOT HEAT!
- the Photosphere
- Much hotter!!
5 True/False Questions
Chromosphere → Transition from Photosphere to Corona
Sun Spots → Cool spots that emerge from beneath the sun's surface.
*appear darker because they are cooler (but are still very hot)
*They are complex and magnetic
*Come and go in pairs
*Linked by magnetic field lines
*Shift polarity every 11 years
Solar Constant → The amount of the Sun's energy reaching earth. "C"
Why is the Sun not very dense? → Occasionally field lines burst out of the surface and loop, thereby creating a sunspot pair.
Layers of the Sun? (inner to outer) → Because its very large