5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Sun Equilibrium:
- What happens to the Sun's magnetic field lines due to rotation?
- Solar Constant
- a When inward Gravitational Force is balanced by outward Pressure.
*Gravity wants the sun to collapse in
*Pressure from hot gas pulls sun outwards
*True for every star- guarantees stability
- b The measurement of average kinetic energy in molecules. NOT HEAT!
- c The amount of the Sun's energy reaching earth. "C"
- d The visible surface of the Sun. Creates visible light!
- e Field lines twist and break, creating heat as solar storms
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Transfers radiation from nuclear fusion outward through RADIATION
- The core is super hot, but it gets cooler until you reach the transition zone, where the temperature suddenly increases dramatically!
- Much hotter!!
- 1) Core
2) Radiation Zone
3) Convection Zone
---6) Transition Zone---
"Cool Rad Converse Pad Chris' Toe, Cool!"
- The random process of photon movement through the radiation zone to the convection zone.
5 True/False Questions
The most abundant element in the Sun? → Helium
Coronal Holes: → Holes in the corona from which solar wind escapes
Why is the Sun not very dense? → Occasionally field lines burst out of the surface and loop, thereby creating a sunspot pair.
Chromosphere → Transition from Photosphere to Corona
Solar Wind → Large explosion on the surface of the sun when hot gas breaks free of the magnetic field
* emits energy
*lasts only seconds, unlike longer prominences (but smaller and more violent)
*can knock out electricity