Defining Abnormality through "Failure to Function"
If they can't cope with every day life, they are abnormal. They may be unable to perform:
- hold down a job
- interact meaningfully with others
- make themselves understood
Rosenhan & Seligman's characteristics
- if they're suffering
- unpredictability and lack of control
- causes observer discomfort
- vividness and unconventionality (stands out)
Limitations of Failure to Function
- does a person have to tick everything to be abnormal?
- subjective; a person's levels of sensitivity may determine whether or not they feel uncomfortable
- "self care" criteria: doesn't take laziness and different personal standards/opinions into account
- extreme sport artists may put themselves in danger; lifestyle choice rather than abnormality?