← Soil - Vocabulary Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- acid rain
- a the loose, weathered material on Earth's surface in which plants can grow
- b process in which sediment is laid down in new locations
- c The solid layer of rock beneath the soil
- d earth materials deposited by erosion
- e rain containing high amounts of chemical pollutants.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The breaking down of rocks and other materials on the Earth's surface.
- Soil organism that breaks down the remains of organisms and digests them.
- Rich, fertile soil that is made up of about equal parts of clay, sand, and silt.
- the grinding away of rock by other rock particles carried in water, ice, or wind
- characteristic of a material that is full of tiny, connected air spaces that water can seep through
5 True/False Questions
mass movement → any one of several processes by which gravity moves sediment downhill
ice wedging → wedges of ice in rocks widen and deepen cracks
humus → Dark-colored organic material in soil.
soil horizon → The layer of soil that differs in color and texture from the layers above or below it.
erosion → The removal of rock particles by wind, water, ice, or gravity