← Soil - Vocabulary Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- mass movement
- a any one of several processes by which gravity moves sediment downhill
- b Rich, fertile soil that is made up of about equal parts of clay, sand, and silt.
- c Dark-colored organic material in soil.
- d The layer of soil beneath the topsoil that contains mostly clay and other minerals.
- e characteristic of a material that is full of tiny, connected air spaces that water can seep through
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- earth materials deposited by erosion
- The layer of soil that differs in color and texture from the layers above or below it.
- wedges of ice in rocks widen and deepen cracks
- rain containing high amounts of chemical pollutants.
- the grinding away of rock by other rock particles carried in water, ice, or wind
5 True/False Questions
soil → the loose, weathered material on Earth's surface in which plants can grow
weathering → the loose layer of dead plant leaves and stems on the surface of the soil
topsoil → the loose, weathered material on Earth's surface in which plants can grow
decomposer → Soil organism that breaks down the remains of organisms and digests them.
oxidation → a chemical change in which a substance combines with oxygen, as when iron oxidizes, forming rust