- British forces attacked the Americans.
- The British suffered more casualties then the Americans.
- The British won when the colonists were forced to retreat, due to their lack of gun powder.
- The King declared New England and eventually all of the colonies in a state of rebellion.
Second Continental Congress
-Met in 1775, when King George did not agree to the colonist's demands.
-The Congress drafted and signed the Declaration of Independence, which declared war and that the colonists should be free of Britain.
-The Congress appointed Washington as commander of the Continental Army and wrote the Articles of Confederation.
Olive Branch Petition
-The colonies' final offer of peace to King George.
-Agreed to be loyal to King George if the government would address their wishes (repeal the Coercive Acts and end taxation without representation).
-This petition was rejected once Britain heard about Breed's Hill.
Declaration of Independence
-Drafted by Thomas Jefferson, edited by the Continental Congress.
-Argued that humans have natural rights, guaranteed to them at birth.
-Blamed King George for the problems leading up to the Revolution.
-Declared the United States independent from Great Britain.
Battle of Saratoga
- Prevented the British from splitting New England from the rest of the colonies.
- As a result Gen. Burgoyne and his army surrendered to the Americans.
- Proved to France that America could win the war.
- British offered Americans home rule within the British Empire.
Battle of Yorktown
- British Gen. Cornwallis waited in Yorktown for supplies and replacements.
- American Gen. Washington attacked Cornwallis and his troops by land while French Admiral De Grasse blocked their escape by sea.
- Forced Britain to begin negotiating peace with America.
Treaty of Paris
- Ended the Revolutionary War, granted the colonies independence, and gave them territory from Canada's southern border to Florida's northern border.
- Britain hoped to split the US from its French allies by granting the nation's wishes.
Results of War
- Increased social equality, increased church-state separation, and elevated the status of women.
- Put an end to certain inheritance practices (primogeniture and entail) and the practice of putting a person in jail for debt.
- Reduced the qualifications for owning property, voting, and holding office.
Appointment of Washington
- Appointed commander of the Continental Army because for his leadership skills.
- A symbol of the colonists' fight for independence.
Articles of Confederation
-The framework of the new government adopted in 1781.
-The new government was very weak and had trouble receiving respect from foreign governments.
-Under the Articles, the US was able to end the war and negotiate peace.