5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- free enterprise
- What difficulties did immigrnts face when comeing to America?
- Ellis Isand
- Angel Island
- a "Ellis Island of the west." mostly aisan immigrants more like a jail in californa
- b An association of workers, formed to bargain for better working conditions and higher wages.
- c Xenophobia and nativeists, low paying jobs with bad working conditions, bad living condtions (teniments), sickness from poor conditions
- d the economic system of the US in which money and the means of porducing goods are controlled by people, not government; consumers are free to choose what they want to buy
- e immigration center in NY where immigrants went thoroght legal and pyical inspections before getting in to America
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a business leader who became wealthy through dishonest methods
- company run by robber baron John D. Rockfeller
- peolpe who thought immagrants posed a threat to them and their way of life afraid immigrants would steal their jobs
- the period of time from 1880s to the 1920s characterized by the lavish lifestyle of thos who became rich from industry
- This 1906 work by Upton Sinclair pointed out the abuses of the meat packing industry. The book led to the passage of the 1906 Meat Inspection Act.
5 True/False Questions
muckrakers → to stop work so you can get somthing such as better pay
trust → to stop work so you can get somthing such as better pay
goals of Progressives → period from 1890-1920, reformers from diverse political backgrounds joined together to bring change to American Society - supported variety of causes
stockholder → a person who purchases shares in a corporation but is not held liable for any of the company's debts beyond his or her own investment
Teddy Roosevelt → president from 1901-1909 ; progressive politic; big areas of involvement are conservation, Sherman Anti Trust Act, and Pure food drug act, general in spanish amarican war, panma canal; wanted to govenment to ensure fairness (a square deal) for workers, consumers and big business