5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Police Officer
- District Attorney
- Clerk of Court
- police jury
- a Powers: Stop, search (with probable cause and/or a warrant), and arrest people. Responsibilities: Deter crime; Investigate crimes; Enforce the laws. Limits: Must follow the law and the constitutions (US & LA) as determined by judicial branch: Must only enforce laws & ordinances created by legislative branch.
- b Powers: Keep records of real estate transactions, moveable property transactions, court decisions, marriages, etc. Responsibilities: Keep accurate and complete records for the courts. Limits: Must keep office open on the hours required by the state.
- c Powers: Commands Louisiana National Guard (unless the Guard has been federalized and placed under the command of the President of the United States); Veto bills, requiring a 2/3 majority in both legislative chambers (House and Senate) to override; May submit administrative bills to the legislature through friendly legislators; Call special sessions of the legislature if he or she feels a matter is too urgent to wait for the next session; Is the Chief Executive Officer of Louisiana. Responsibilities: Enforce the laws of Louisiana; Prepares and submits a budget to the legislature; Appoint members of many boards and commissions. Limits: Must enforce the laws created by the legislature; Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.
- d Powers: Prosecutes crimes. Responsibilities: Decide which alleged crimes are worth prosecution based on evidence and severity. Limits: Must follow the laws and the constitutions; the courts and voters evaluate; Can only enforce the laws and ordinances made by the legislative branch.
- e The legislative branch at the parish level is called a ___ in 41 of the 64 parishes. These are usually smaller parishes. Powers: May propose new parish ordinances and has a vote on ordinances as a part of the legislative branch; Performs administrative functions (such as hiring and firing personnel) associated with the executive branch. Responsibilities: Attend meetings; Represent the interests of his or her constituents. Limits: Ordinances and executive acts may not conflict with state or federal laws or constitutions.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Powers: Hears legal cases; Civil -- lawsuits; Domestic -- divorce and child custody; Criminal -- violations of the criminal code. Responsibilities: Decide impartially on the legal and constitutional merits of the case. Limits: Decisions must not conflict with the Louisiana or U.S. Constitutions; Decisions may be appealed to the Circuit Courts of Appeal.
- Powers: Replaces the governor if he or she cannot serve; Acts as governor if the governor is out-of-state or temporarily unable to serve; Becomes governor if the governor dies, is permanently incapacitated, or is removed from office by the Senate. Responsibilities: Promote the public image of Louisiana; Head the Department of Culture, Recreation, and Tourism. Limits: Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.
- Powers: Presides over the Louisiana House of Representatives. Responsibilities: Manage the House and enforce its rules on the Representatives. Limits: Elected by the members of the House.
- Powers: Manages the city government. Responsibilities: Carry out the ordinances created by the City Council. Limits: Cannot create ordinances without the City Council; Must follow the laws and constitutions.
- Powers: Has all the powers and responsibilities of the other Louisiana Supreme Court Justices; Chief administrative officer of the Louisiana judicial system. Responsibilities: Vote impartially on the legal and constitutional merits of the case. Limits: Decisions must not conflict with the U.S. Constitution.
5 True/False Questions
Teacher → Powers: Invest state funds; Disburse state funds. Responsibilities: Keep state funds secure; Manage the state's money; Lead the Louisiana Department of the Treasury; Make an annual financial report to governor and legislature. Limits: The legislature creates the budget and mandates the spending.
Coroner → Powers: Order an autopsy; Commit a patient to a psychiatric facility against his or her will for two weeks if the ___ determines the patient is a danger to himself or herself or others. Responsibilities: Investigate unexplained deaths. Limits: Must follow the laws and the constitutions; the courts and voters evaluate; Must be a licensed physician unless no licensed physician will take the job.
Secretary of State → Powers: Administer business names and trademarks in Louisiana; Administer election laws. Responsibilities: Keeps & publishes official state records; Keeps & publishes acts of the legislature; Keeps the Great Seal; Chief elections officer -- manages the elections process. Limits: Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.
Attorney General → Powers: Invest state funds; Disburse state funds. Responsibilities: Keep state funds secure; Manage the state's money; Lead the Louisiana Department of the Treasury; Make an annual financial report to governor and legislature. Limits: The legislature creates the budget and mandates the spending.
Commissioner of Insurance → Powers: Test and certify insurance professionals; Investigate insurance companies. Responsibilities: Regulate the insurance companies operating in Louisiana; Protect consumer's best interests. Limits: Must follow the laws and constitutions of the state and federal governments.