5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What "lasting impressions" were made upon the Egyptians by the "Highland Rulers" and other foreign invaders?
- What benefit did the early Egyptians derive from the protection against invasion that was afforded by them by the geography of the region?
- In what ways did the cities of the early Indus River Valley civilization exhibit concern for sanitation and cleanliness?
- For what purpose was a vote taken annually in the Athenian assembly that could result in the exile of a citizen for ten years?
- In what manner did the 'regular' coastline of the Italian Peninsula impact the development of Roman culture?
- a It was a means to protect the true nature and definition of a democracy and it worked to avoid the danger of one man dominating the government through skill in rhetoric and debate
- b The Egyptians learned to hate and how to fight
- c There was no large-scale fishing industry, trade between the Romans and other people beyond the peninsula would be limited in the early days of Rome's development, and there were few good harbors
- d Egyptian energy and resources were not heavily directed at war
- e Some houses had brick-floored bathing rooms, dirty water drained through clay pipes into gutters, and brick sewer systems ran beneath the streets
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Diplomacy, conquest, and marriage
- Plato - the state is more important than the individual; Aristotle - the viability of a government is determined by circumstance
- The Phoenician alphabet was in use and did not take years of study to master
- The requirements of childcare restricted them
- Some Cro-Magnons were buried with ivory daggers and amber beads
5 True/False Questions
What factors contributed to the breakup of the Kingdom of Israel following the death of Solomon? → Small farmers could not compete against grain imported to Rome from conquered lands and they were unable to pay their taxes, which forced them to sell their land
For what reasons was Socrates brought to trial in ancient Athens? → They believed trade was an indecent occupation
What was the most important concept contained in the Code of Hammurabi? → 20 billion years; 4.5 billion years
With what is the development of civilization associated? → The rise of cities
What were the goals of the legal code that was devised by Draco in the 7th century B.C.? → The actors were always men, there were elaborate costumes for actors, and the theaters were open air and often built on the side of a hill