5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What major legal principle was established through the Twelve Tables?
- After 1200 B.C., merchants in the Near East no longer required the services of specially trained scribes because...
- With what is the development of civilization associated?
- What is the estimated age of the universe? The earth?
- Which Hellenistic philosophy had an impact on Roman intellectuals and early Christian thinkers?
- a Stoicism
- b All free citizens had a right to the law's protection
- c The rise of cities
- d The Phoenician alphabet was in use and did not take years of study to master
- e 20 billion years; 4.5 billion years
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The actors were always men, there were elaborate costumes for actors, and the theaters were open air and often built on the side of a hill
- Economic rivalry
- Some Cro-Magnons were buried with ivory daggers and amber beads
- It prevented the Greeks from unifying under one central government and protected them from invaders
- Small farmers could not compete against grain imported to Rome from conquered lands and they were unable to pay their taxes, which forced them to sell their land
5 True/False Questions
How did ruling classes justify their position and power in early societies? → By means of religion
In spite of fair treatment by their Persian overlords, the Ionian Greeks regularly rose up in rebellion against the Persians because... → 20 billion years; 4.5 billion years
Which phase of the Punic Wars was unjustified on the part of the Romans? Why was this war fought? → Supervising the business of government, collection of taxes, and supervision of farming and irrigation
In what manner did the 'regular' coastline of the Italian Peninsula impact the development of Roman culture? → There was no large-scale fishing industry, trade between the Romans and other people beyond the peninsula would be limited in the early days of Rome's development, and there were few good harbors
For what reason was the "veto" power of the tribunes in Roman government 'negative' in nature? → New laws could not be passed or invoked after its use and this power could only be used to prevent the enactment of laws