5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- For what reasons did the Persians not participate in trade?
- What is the estimated age of the universe? The earth?
- For what reasons was Socrates brought to trial in ancient Athens?
- What factors contributed to the decline of the small farmer in Roman society following the Punic Wars?
- What were the functions/responsibilities of the vizier during the Old Kingdom?
- a He was accused of impiety and corrupting the youth of Athens
- b They believed trade was an indecent occupation
- c 20 billion years; 4.5 billion years
- d Small farmers could not compete against grain imported to Rome from conquered lands and they were unable to pay their taxes, which forced them to sell their land
- e Supervising the business of government, collection of taxes, and supervision of farming and irrigation
5 Multiple choice questions
- To end blood feuds and private vengeance
- After the Persian Wars
- The use of fire
- Diplomacy, conquest, and marriage
- They developed techniques to keep warm (fire and clothing), migrated to warmer climates, and died if they were unable to adapt
5 True/False questions
In what ways did the cities of the early Indus River Valley civilization exhibit concern for sanitation and cleanliness? → The rise of cities
What benefit did the early Egyptians derive from the protection against invasion that was afforded by them by the geography of the region? → Egyptian energy and resources were not heavily directed at war
Which Hellenistic philosophy had an impact on Roman intellectuals and early Christian thinkers? → Stoicism
Identify the fundamental ideas held by Plato and Aristotle as they are presented in "The Republic" and "Politics". → Plato - the state is more important than the individual; Aristotle - the viability of a government is determined by circumstance
How did ruling classes justify their position and power in early societies? → Custom