5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What were the goals of the legal code that was devised by Draco in the 7th century B.C.?
- What values are depicted by the characters in Homer's epics that were considered so important that the "Illiad" and the "Odyssey" became part of the curriculum in Greek schools?
- What provided the basis for behavior in early societies?
- With what is the development of civilization associated?
- What groups were upset in Egypt during the Amarna period by the pharaoh's imposition of monotheism on Egyptian religion?
- a Strive for excellence, meet fate with dignity, and love nature
- b Custom
- c The military, the priests of the old religion, and the common people
- d To end blood feuds and private vengeance
- e The rise of cities
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- 20 billion years; 4.5 billion years
- Some houses had brick-floored bathing rooms, dirty water drained through clay pipes into gutters, and brick sewer systems ran beneath the streets
- He was accused of impiety and corrupting the youth of Athens
5 True/False Questions
How did the Assyrians treat the people whom they conquered? → They courted the goodwill of the conquered people and they spared the lives of conquered people and left conquered cities intact
For what reason was the "veto" power of the tribunes in Roman government 'negative' in nature? → New laws could not be passed or invoked after its use and this power could only be used to prevent the enactment of laws
What was the most important concept contained in the Code of Hammurabi? → The state must enforce the law
What major advancement in technology was made by the Neanderthals? → The improvement of their cave dwellings
After 1200 B.C., merchants in the Near East no longer required the services of specially trained scribes because... → They believed trade was an indecent occupation