5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What were the goals of the legal code that was devised by Draco in the 7th century B.C.?
- What values are depicted by the characters in Homer's epics that were considered so important that the "Illiad" and the "Odyssey" became part of the curriculum in Greek schools?
- What "lasting impressions" were made upon the Egyptians by the "Highland Rulers" and other foreign invaders?
- For what purpose was a vote taken annually in the Athenian assembly that could result in the exile of a citizen for ten years?
- For what reason has the Yellow River been nicknamed "China's Sorrow"?
- a The Egyptians learned to hate and how to fight
- b Strive for excellence, meet fate with dignity, and love nature
- c It was a means to protect the true nature and definition of a democracy and it worked to avoid the danger of one man dominating the government through skill in rhetoric and debate
- d The devastating floods that occur on the river periodically
- e To end blood feuds and private vengeance
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- All free citizens had a right to the law's protection
- By means of religion
- They courted the goodwill of the conquered people and they spared the lives of conquered people and left conquered cities intact
- 20 billion years; 4.5 billion years
- Plato - the state is more important than the individual; Aristotle - the viability of a government is determined by circumstance
5 True/False Questions
What provided the basis for behavior in early societies? → Custom
What factors contributed to the decline of the small farmer in Roman society following the Punic Wars? → Small farmers could not compete against grain imported to Rome from conquered lands and they were unable to pay their taxes, which forced them to sell their land
With what is the development of civilization associated? → The rise of cities
What consequences resulted from Egyptian rulers seeking financial aid from provincial nobles during the First Intermediate Period? → Custom
What factors contributed to the breakup of the Kingdom of Israel following the death of Solomon? → After he died, revolts broke out and two kingdoms broke out