5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a The President complained that government bureaucracy was hobbling his programs with ______ of red tape.
- b Resorting to rather farfetched promises, I finally _____ Tina into going to the prom with me.
- c He may have kept within the letter of the law, but there is no doubt that he has ______ the accepted moral code.
- d Although she is well into middle age, my aunt Sally seems unable to ______ herself of the idea that she is still a teenager.
- e What hurt my feelings was not so much his refusal to give me a job as the ______ way in which he told me that he had nothing for me.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Rude questions call for _____ answers, and mine is "No!"
- The alchemists of the Middle Ages, who were both skilled magicians and primitive chemists, hoped to _____ base metals into gold.
- The one fact about nature that seems completely _____ is that everything is subject to change.
- Wearing _____ masks at Halloween is a tradition that goes back many centuries.
- The task of education, said the speaker, is to ______ the primitive selfishness of the child into socially useful modes of behavior.
5 True/False Questions
Vicariously → Her description of the Western frontier was so vivid that I seemed to be ______ experiencing the realities of prisoner life.
Sinecure → Wearing _____ masks at Halloween is a tradition that goes back many centuries.
heinous → With the innumerable activities open to a young person like you, I can't understand why you should suffer from ______.
aspersions → I welcome honest criticism, but I deeply resented their _____ on my sincerity and good faith.
Cajole → Resorting to rather farfetched promises, I finally _____ Tina into going to the prom with me.