5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a Although she is well into middle age, my aunt Sally seems unable to ______ herself of the idea that she is still a teenager.
- b His endless talk about himself and his interests is truly unexcelled for producing _____ in others.
- c The speaker's blatant appeal to the emotions of the crowd smacked more of the _____ than the true leader of the people.
- d A favorite ploy of the ______ is to appoint a convenient scapegoat upon whom a misguided populace can vent its anger.
- e A(n) ______ group at the convention refused to accept the choices of the regular party leaders.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The institutions of our society, far from being ______, are in the process of change at this very moment.
- With the innumerable activities open to a young person like you, I can't understand why you should suffer from ______.
- The task of education, said the speaker, is to ______ the primitive selfishness of the child into socially useful modes of behavior.
- Is there any other crime in history as _____ as the attempt of the Nazis to annihilate so called "inferior" racial groups?
- Although her new position bore a high-sounding title, it was really little more than a(n) ______.
5 True/False Questions
sinecure → Anyone who refers to my job as a(n) _____ should spend just one day in my place!
Heinous → With the innumerable activities open to a young person like you, I can't understand why you should suffer from ______.
immutable → Although she is well into middle age, my aunt Sally seems unable to ______ herself of the idea that she is still a teenager.
transmute → The alchemists of the Middle Ages, who were both skilled magicians and primitive chemists, hoped to _____ base metals into gold.
Vicariously → Her description of the Western frontier was so vivid that I seemed to be ______ experiencing the realities of prisoner life.