5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Dragonfly - Class 2
- Water Boatman
- Gilled Snails - Class 1
- Whirligig Beetle - Class 5
- Caddisfly - Class 1
- a They are snails whose shells are made of calcium carbonate. Their most important fact about the snails is that they breathe air.
- b carnivorous aquatic bug having paddle-like hind legs, -family-corixidae
- c aquatic beetle that circles rapidly on the water surface
- d Life Cycle- Egg>Larvae>Pupa>Adult; adults have 4 wings held over the back in a "V" or tent shape at rest; no tails
- e slender-bodied non-stinging insect having iridescent wings that are outspread at rest
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- small red annelid worm that lives in fresh water, partly buried in the mud. Also called bloodworm
- - bottom of the food chain
- can rapidly reproduce on its own and has few predators
- competes with other zooplankton for food
- secrets a thick material that has a pungent odor
- are tiny, ranging from approximately 1/64th of an inch (0.5 mm) to 2 inches (50.80 mm), bivalve mollusks that inhabit fresh to brackish, at this time, there are relatively few ways to control zebra mussels It is illegal in Maryland to fish with bait that is contaminated by zebra mussels
- -very short lived, adults live 2-48 hours before dying
-mouthparts are reduced in adults
- carp eat aquatic vegetation in huge amounts, particularly preferring submerged aquatic vegetation - There are two barbels on each side of the mouth. No other species that closely resembles the carp has these barbels
5 True/False Questions
Aquatic Sowbug - Class 2 → Insects that skim along lakes and ponds. Also known as the isopod.
Air Breathing Snail - Class 4 → Snails that can breathe air, but are not the same as gilled snails.
Water Mite - Class 3 → It floats on top of the water, but they depend on the cohesion of the water to float. If there isn't enough cohesion then they will sink.
Leeches - Class 3 → A class of annelids. Some are predators and some are parasites that suck blood. It secretes anesthesia and hirudin, which prevents blood clotting, to help it suck blood.
Giant Water Bug - Class 5 → large water bug with piercing and sucking mouth parts