5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- 15th amendment
- Plessy v. Ferguson
- Booker T. Washington
- a -a group established in 1960 to promote and use non-violent means to protest racial discrimination; they were the ones primarily responsible for creating the sit-in movement at Woolworths
- b In 1892 a shoemaker named Homer Plessy was arrested for sitting in a railroad car in Louisiana. It was for "white people only."- he brought this case to the supreme court and lost
- c was a civil rights organization. They trained many people in non violent action- were the first to try sit in method in Chicago, they did not leave until they were served, eventually, both blacks and whites were being served there
- d 1870- all citizens could vote; no discrimination
- e head of Tuskegee Institute in Alabama; offered and "uplift" program"; beilieved in self help and trade schools (like Tuskegee) to win the blacks respect and value and earn full rights
5 Multiple choice questions
- 15th amendment
- Is a form of political activism which seeks immediate remedy for vilotion of laws that are unjust; can include such activities as strikes, sit-ins, demonstrations, marches, etc.
- children congregated at the 16th Street Baptist Church and filed out into Kelly Ingram Park where police rounded them up and they filled up the jails in protest of segregation
- state segregation laws in the South that separated whites and blacks in public places
- Organization formed by African Americans in Montgomery, Alabama, to strengthen the bus boycott and to coordinate protest efforts of African Americans; led by Martin Luther King Jr.
5 True/False questions
The election of Rutherford B. Hayes → was against black voting rights and banned the march from Selma to Montgomery that wanted black voting rights
13th amendment → 1865- abolished slavery
Civil Rights Act of 1964 → outlawed discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, gender, religion, etc.; outlawed segregation in public places; created Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to enforce job discrimination ban; tried to improve cilcil rights in the community
WEB Dubois → long-time labor leader who organized and led the first important unskilled workers labor union, called in to represent union during sit-down strike LED THE MARCH FROM SELMA TO MONT. with Williams
Orval Faubus → "the rights that the Constitution entitles all people to as citizens, especially equal treatment under the law."