Using Key Terms
Using Key Terms
C. A person who drives or directs a team of animals.
2. Special Session
E. Meeting in which the legislature decides on a special issue.
D. The ship that carries a commander of a fleet.
4. Joint Resolution
A. Resolution passed by both houses of a legislative body that has the force of law.
B. Formal acknowledgement of the existence of a nation or government.
1. Explain why the United States delayed recognizing the Republic of Texas.
Firstly, they didn't like the idea of recognition of Texas because they still allowed slavery and because it would just add another slave state to the United States. Secondly, President Jackson did not want to anger the Republic of Mexico and ruin the relations between America and Mexico.
2. Explain France's and Great Britain's hesitation to recognize Texas.
Because they did not want to offend Mexico, and because they believed that Texas would quickly annex to the United States.
3. Cite when France finally agreed to recognize the Republic of Texas.
France extended recognition on September 25, 1839.
4. Examine what Lanar hoped to accomplish by sending the new Texas navy into Mexican waters. What happened to the navy when Sam Houston became the President of Texas?
Lamar hoped that the Mexican government would recognize Texas in exchange for a promise that the navy would not be used against Mexico. When Sam Houston regained presidency in 1841, he ordered the navy back to Texas.
5. Identify the major source of controversy between Texas and Mexico. Why did Lamar want to establish control over the area around Santa Fe.
The reason that Mexico lost at San Jacinto was because Santa Anna ordered the army to the nearest garrisons, which were located south of the river. And Lamar wanted control over Santa Fe because it was an entry point for tradeand because it would expand Texas, and Lamar believed that control over Santa Fe was the first step.
6. Describe the results of the Texas attack on the Mexican Town of Mier.
The Texans were easly out numbered and they surrendered, one of the reasons why is because they were desperately low on supplies.
7. Explain what happened to Texan prisoners who drew a black bean.
Texans would reach into a jar and pull out a bean, if the bean was black, they would get shot, but if the bean was white, they would be teken to a Mexican prison.
8. List three main terms of the joint resolution for annexation.
1.Texas could keep its public lands but should sell some of these lands to pay debts. 2. Texas could enter the union as soon as its people approved annexation and adopted a state constitution. 3. Texas had to turn over some public property to the United States government.
1. How did Santa Anna's release affect Texas's relations with Mexico?
It didn't realy affect their relations with Mexico because not much had changed.
2. Compare Houston's and Lamar's views regaurding annexation.
Houston was for annexation, Lamar was against annexation.
3. The Texas voters approved both annexation and the constitution by a great majority. Why do you think so many Texans wanted to be annexed to the United States? What do you think they hoped to gain?
They wanted to be annexed to Texas because alot of them were from the United States, better protection, better economic trades and ties, and better postal system.(Those are also the things that they hoped to gain.)
1. What do you think Mexico hoped to achieve by keeping Texas from being annexed to the United States? If you had been a ruler of Mexico after the Texas Revolution, would you have extended recognition to the Texas government?
They could have achieved taking Texas back because they were not apart of the United States yet and they have a good chance of taking it back because Texas was going through troubles. If I were a ruler of Mexico I would have not Recognized Texas because we had just lost Texas to them and I would be mad.
2. Why might Great Britain and France have wanted Texas to remain independent rather than become part of the United States?
So that the people from Great Britain and France would have wanted to move to Texas, but if they annexed, then they wouldn't have a big chance to move into Texas because alot of Americans would have already moved in.
Linking Past and Present
Linking Past and Present
Compare the United States's recognition of Texas with the United States recognition of Lavita, Estonia, and Lithuania after the fall of communism in Soviet Union. What are the Benefits of being recognized by a country like the United States.
3. Texas Becomes a State
A. Renewal of annexation efforts
1. Houston favors annexation
2. Many voters favor annexation
3. Many senators vote against annexation in the United States
1. Election indicates voters favor annexation
2. Annexation gained strength from growing support for manifest destiny
1. Congressional leaders who wanted annexation made a proposal that Texas be annexed by a joint resolution.
2. Terms of annexation
D. Texas approves annexation
1. President Jones is called to a special session of the Texas Congress.
2. United States Congress approve Constitution of 1845 in December
1. Texas congress approves annexation
2. Texas voters approve annexation and new constitution.