5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- fought for freedom of speech and religion
- gov. should have separation of powers
- practice where one government department (monarch/dictator) has total power over the whole country
- The Palace at Versailles; nobles forced to live and work here, intendants given more power = less power to nobles and more to himself
- ended war between France and Spanish Netherlands (France gained region and several towns)
- a What was the Treaty of Nijmegen?
- b What were the main ideas of Montesquieu?
- c What were the main ideas of Voltaire?
- d How did Louis XIV control his nobility?
- e What is absolutism?
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- What occurred during James II's reign of England?
- Why were Zheng He's voyages stopped?
- What were Galileo's discoveries?
- What were Prince *HENRY's contributions to Portugal?
- Who was Tycho Brahe?
5 True/False Questions
* → Who became the first Ming emperor?
speedy trial; laws for order (not revenge!); against cruel punishment; degree of punishment depends on crime → What were the main ideas of Beccaria?
(not a monarch)
abolished monarchy and House of Lords; constitution drafted then destroyed = military dictator; crushed Ireland rebellion; promoted Puritan morality and abolished "sinful activities"; welcomed all regions (Jews!) except Catholics → What occurred during William and Mary's reign of England?
Zheng He → Who became the first Ming emperor?
trial before Inquisition; church threatens torture = agrees his findings are false; house arrest until death → What happened to Galileo when he contradicted the church?