← BSCI 103 Quiz 1 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- functional groups
- Covalent bonds
- Levels of Organization
- a are parts of a molecule that participate in a chemical reaction
- b strong bonds where atoms share electrons - two or more atoms held together by a covalent bond are called a molecule
- c ibers that run through the cell providing support, movement, anchorage and movement of organelles, 3 types - microfilaments, intermediate filaments, microtubules - the microtubule organizing center is called the centriole
- d biosphere, ecosystem, community, population, organism, organ system, organs, tissues, cells, organelle, molecule, atom
- e small nitrogen containing molecules, amino acids, are joined to form dipeptides which are joined to form polypeptides which may be joined to other polypeptides to from proteins. Proteins have unique 3 dimensional shapes or configurations that enable them to function as enzymes to catalyze reactions and function in other active ways.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- molecules of carbon + hydrogen
- determine chemical properties of atoms = how it will react (bond) with other atoms
- hydrolytic enzymes are manufactured by the ER sent to the Golgi for finishing and repackaging in sacs called _________, ___________ merge with food vacuoles to digest food or destroy invading organisms -Abnormal __________ can cause diseases include Tay-Sachs - inability to break down lipids resulting in damage to nerves and brain
- a system of interconnected membranes that run throughout the cell for synthesis, storage, and transport of products
- two types, DNA and RNA. DNA forms our genes, RNA reads the genes and helps make proteins, __________ _____ are composed of joined monomers called nucleotides. These nucleotides are composed of a sugar - deoxyribose (DNA) or ribose (RNA), a nitrogenous base (adenine, thymine, cytosine, guanine, or uracil), and a phosphate group
5 True/False Questions
hydrogen bonds → molecules of carbon + hydrogen
carbohydrates → single sugar units such as glucose (= a monosaccharide) are joined to form disaccharides such as maltose which can be joined to other sugars to form polysaccharides such as starch (plants) or glycogen (animals), cellulose is a large polysaccharide made by plants that is not easily broken down, chitin is a polysaccharide used by insects to build their exoskeleton - ________ are important sources of energy, and for building structures in plants and animals
Atoms → Protons, Neutrons, electrons (subatomic particles).
RNA → forms our genes,
Elements → Combine to form compounds. Are formed of atoms.