aim of psychoanalysis
To take traumatic memories and repressed urges and bring them to conscious mind to be able to deal with them
methods of psychoanalysis
Rorschach ink blots, TAT tests, dream analysis, free association, word association and transference
What is dream analysis?
Client is asked to keep a dream diary and the analyst will look at the symbolism in the dreams and try and find out what is going on in their unconscious mind
What is free association?
When the client talks about what's going on in their mind, uncensored
What is transference?
When the client will talk to the therapist as if they are someone else, they are projecting their feelings for another relationship onto the therapist
- Found to be about as effective as other approaches therapies
- More appropriate for people with childhood traumas, looks at their past
- Mainly only available privately
- Extremely expensive
- May be difficult to trust therapy because it relies on memory
- Analyst is totally in control and they may influence/tell the client how they feel etc