← SFS USH UNIT 5 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Dawes General Allotment Act
- a which required that Indian lands be surveyed and that American Indian families receive an allotment of 160 acres of reservation land for farming.
- b Exclusive right to manufacture or sell an invention.
- c "Big Chiefs"
referred to Republican reformers who supported Democrat Grover Cleveland in the presidential election of 1884
- d a member of an American Indian people of New Mexico and Arizona.
- e Poor accommodations in a ship's lower levels; many immigrants to the united States traveled in this space
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Residential neighborhoods on the outskirts of a city
- used a steam engine to drill for oil near Titusville, Pennsylvania, in 1859.
- "Populist Party"
National political party formed in 1892 that supported a graduated income tax, bank regulation, government ownership of some companies, restriction on immigration, shorter workdays, and voting reform
- permitted "any citizen or intended citizen to select any surveyed land up to 160 acres and to gain title to it after five years' residence" if the person cultivated the land.
- Wanted to provide educational and cultural opportunities to the poor and to improve living conditions in poor neighborhoods
5 True/False Questions
Elisha Otis → made a significant contribution to the industrial use of oil. The son of runaway slaves, McCoy invented a lubricating cup that fed oil to parts of a machine while it was running.
Ragtime → Exclusive right to manufacture or sell an invention.
Graft → Arrangement grouping several companies under one board of directors to eliminate competition and to regulate production.
James Pendergast → Particularly well-liked boss in Kansas City, Missouri, ran a political machine
Trust → Arrangement grouping several companies under one board of directors to eliminate competition and to regulate production.