5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- d. Utilitarianism
- c. The creation of intermediate sanctions
- c. A tactic used by officers to create power in union negotiations.
- b. Treatment (rehabilitation) programs are rarely used.
- b. Medical treatment
- a 18. The prison population increased since 1960 due to all the following factors except
a. A fear of crime
b. Medical treatment
c. Media and special interest groups
d. The War on Drugs
- b 20. Boot Camps have increased in number over the last twenty years. Which of the following statements is NOT true about boot camps?
a. These camps typically target young non-violent offenders.
b. Treatment (rehabilitation) programs are rarely used.
c. Offenders generally enter as volunteers with a reduced duration of sentence incentive.
d. Offenders are subject to militaristic drills and discipline.
- c 4. What is the "blue flu?'
a. A particularly virulent virus rampantly spreading in prisons.
b. A code name among correctional officers for a poor administrative decision.
c. A tactic used by officers to create power in union negotiations.
d. A code name among correctional officers for administrative power trips.
- d 16. There were several events that coincided between 1975 and 1985 to create prison population boom. Which of the following is not a reason for this dramatic increase in prisoners?
a. The War on Drugs
b. The shift to conservative beliefs to deal with crime
c. The creation of intermediate sanctions
d. "baby boom" group in crime-prone age range
- e 7. The doctrine in which the aim of all action should be the greatest pleasure for the largest number of citizens is called
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- 16. In recent years legislatures have increased control over the sentencing process of their state. Which of the following is not one of the strategies of legislative control?
a. The introduction of determinate sentencing
b. The institution of sentencing guidelines
c. Banning early release to institutionalized offenders
d. The use of mandatory prison terms
- 9. Which of the following is NOT a contributing factor to low quality jail personnel?
a. Poor working conditions
b. Political appointment
c. Extensive training
d. Low pay
- 7. The Gagnon v. Scarpelli decision governs how probation may be withdrawn from an offender. This decision created all of the following due process rules except:
a. A written notice of the probation hearing must be given to the offender.
b. The probationer has the right to cross-examine witnesses.
c. The probationer has the right to legal counsel when the case is too complex for the ordinary person to comprehend the legal issues involved.
d. The hearing is before a jury.
- 18. Judicial and administrative sentencing processes share common criteria in decision-making. Which of the following is not one of them?
a. The offender's past criminal record
b. The use of good time
c. Classification of the crime as aggravated, "normal," and mitigated
d. The degree of repentance demonstrated by the offender
- 2. Jail inmates are more likely than not to be which of the following except?
a. Able to post bail
d. Disproportionately African American
5 True/False Questions
b. Weapons offenders → 19. The least represented group of offenders in state prison are:
a. Property offenders
b. Weapons offenders
c. Drug offenders
d. Violent offenders
a. Expulsion from school to target for outside programming → 5. The prevention ideology contains all of the following concepts except
a. Expulsion from school to target for outside programming
b. A focus on a child's social and emotional problems
c. A focus on the individual and the environment around him or her
d. Programs that generally begin in the school
c. Violent felons sentenced to jail → 1. Which type of offender is least likely to be found in jail?
a. Probationers awaiting violation hearings in jail
b. Non-violent felons sentenced to jail
c. Violent felons sentenced to jail
d. Misdemeanants sentenced to jail
c. Correction in behavior is found through allowing interaction among inmates → 11. The Auburn prison system is characterized by the following concepts except
a. Relatively small cells
b. Enforced idleness
c. Correction in behavior is found through allowing interaction among inmates
d. Used an inside cell-design
b. Contraband is anything not authorized by institutional rules. → 10. The Pennsylvania System initially used the following basic elements except
a. Humane treatment
b. No work
c. Moral and religious instruction
d. Solitary confinement