5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- d. Prisonization
- d. 714,000 jail inmates
- d. Attorneys' personal attributes
- a. Treatment providers usually outnumber educational providers.
- c. The creation of intermediate sanctions
- a 8. Gang affiliations in prison are centered on all of the following inmate characteristics except:
a. Antisocial behavior
- b 16. There were several events that coincided between 1975 and 1985 to create prison population boom. Which of the following is not a reason for this dramatic increase in prisoners?
a. The War on Drugs
b. The shift to conservative beliefs to deal with crime
c. The creation of intermediate sanctions
d. "baby boom" group in crime-prone age range
- c 14. Which of the following statements is NOT true about education services in prison?
a. Treatment providers usually outnumber educational providers.
b. Most state correctional systems legislatively mandate educational services for inmates.
c. Some inmates are able to pursue two-year and four-year degrees while incarcerated.
d. Most inmates are able to pursue a high school education while incarcerated.
- d 8. The Bureau of Justice Statistics (2004) estimated that the average jail population nation-wide on any given day is approximately how many inmates?
a. 120,000 jail inmates
b. 267,000 jail inmates
c. 423,000 jail inmates
d. 714,000 jail inmates
- e 12. The following factors are generally taken into account when prosecutors determine whether or not to dismiss a case from the court system except:
a. Harm done to victim
b. Research on sentencing
c. Case's strength
d. Attorneys' personal attributes
5 Multiple choice questions
- 11. On average (national) what percentage of expenditures is for treatment services in correctional institutions?
- 10. The "Broken Windows" approach to probation calls for all of the following strategies except:
a. Make treatment the central element to probation.
b. Place public safety first.
c. Emphasize performance-based initiatives.
d. Collaborate with the community.
- 7. The most common way to control the use and transportation of contraband is through which of the following procedures?
a. Body cavity searches
c. Frisk search
d. Strip search
- 13. Indeterminate sentencing is most consistent with which goal of punishment?
- 15. As advocated by Walter C. Reckless, a presentence investigation report or PSI should include all of the following information except:
a. Administrative policies of sentences
b. Recommendations for sentence
c. Objective content
d. Subjective content
5 True/False questions
c. Harsh → 9. For deterrence to work, punishment must be all of the following except
a. A. closely linked to behavior that one wishes to stop
c. An increase in supervision and program participation by the court due to non-compliance on the part of the probationer. → 6. Tourniquet sentencing is:
a. When the probation officer enhances probation requirements after the probation term begins.
b. Specific conditions of probation reserved for drug, using offenders.
c. An increase in supervision and program participation by the court due to non-compliance on the part of the probationer.
d. Specific conditions for probation primarily used on high-risk offenders.
c. Rehabilitation → 1. The basic reason for punishment include all of the following reasons except:
a. When one of the treatment staff is sick, the position must be filled in order to maintain "minimal critical staffing." → 17. All of the following are reasons why custody concerns outweigh those of treatment in institutions except:
a. When one of the treatment staff is sick, the position must be filled in order to maintain "minimal critical staffing."
b. Custody issues are immediate and mandatory.
c. Treatment staff usually only work regular "workdays" during regular hours.
d. Custody concerns are ever-present 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
b. Custody → 1. Which of the following corrections staff has twenty-four hour contact with inmates?