5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Wedding Cake Model
- Political Era
- Statutory Law
- Public Defender
- a An attorney employed by the government to represent criminal defenders who cannot afford to pay for a lawyer.
- b a form of government in which power is divided between the federal, or national, government and the states
- c The period of American Policing during the late 19th century and early 20th centuries during which police forces served more to regulate crime pursuant to the wishes of corrupt politicians.
- d discussed by Samuel Walker the model emphasizes that the system handles different kinds of cases differently; it depicts four layers. (Celebrated, Heavy Duty, Lightweight, Misdemeanors)
- e The body of law enacted by legislative bodies (as opposed to constitutional law, administrative law, or case law).
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- when the prosecutor presents evidence to convince the judge the jury that the defendant is guilty as charged
- an approach to policing in which officers routinely seek to identify, analyze, and respond to the circumstances underlying the incidents that prompt citizens to call the police
- the situation of having been charged with a crime
- A criminal justice model that places primary emphasis on the right of society to be protected from crime and violent criminals. Crime control values emphasize speed and efficiency in the criminal justice process; the benefits of lower crime rates outweigh any possible costs to individual rights.
- What act was enacted with the goal of assisting local governments in reducing the incidence of crime by increasing the effectiveness, fairness, and coordination of law enforcement and the criminal justice system.
5 True/False Questions
Police Culture → The period of American Policing during the late 19th century and early 20th centuries during which police forces served more to regulate crime pursuant to the wishes of corrupt politicians.
Substantive Criminal Law → law based on the constitution and supreme court decisions
Equal Protection Clause → 14th amendment clause that prohibits states from denying equal protection under the law, and has been used to combat discrimination
Professional Era → 6 elements:
1.police stay out of politics
2.police should be well trained, well disciplined, tightly organized
3.laws should be equally enforced
4.police should use new technology
5.personnel procedures should be based on merit
6.main task of police should be fighting crime
Criminal Justice System → The body of law created by administrative agencies (in the form of rules, regulations, orders, and decisions) in order to carry out their duties and responsibilities.