5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What was the cottage industry
- What was the impact of the Steam Engine, Steam Boat, better roads and locomotives have on the transportation industry?
- What was strip farming?
- Why did the Industrial Revolution start in Great Britain?
- What did the Flying Shuttle, Spinning Mule, Spinning Jenny, Water frame and power loom have on the textile industry?
- a Led to the rise of factories because the new machines were too big for homes so the cottage industry came to an end; factories were located by water for power, factories attracted poor unskilled labors
- b cheaper transportation, created lots of jobs for railroad workers and miners, boosted agricultural and fishing industries and people traveled more
- c home-based production of textile / cloth and other goods
workers received raw materials from merchants, took the raw materials home and did whatever was required to be done and then returned the finished product
- d when the fields were divided into small strips and each farmer owned a certain number of strips and all had to plant and harvest at the same time
- e Britain had all of the necessary factors of production and a stable political and social conditions that supported economic growth
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- farming was done together and everyone helped one another
- The steam engine- was able to located factories anywhere because a boiler would heat the water into steam with a fire fueled by coal
- life was centered around farming, people were self-sufficient and grew their own food, people never travelled more than 25 miles from home because transportation was SLOW
- Corn and potato
- Natural Resources; large supply of coal, iron, and water power; many rivers for inland transportation
5 True/False Questions
Factor of Production: Labor → Human Resources; large number of available workers
What was Crop Rotation? → a piece of land that was planted with different crops in succession so that now Farmers could farm all 4 fields at once instead of leaving one in fallow
Why was there a need for coal and iron? → Iron was used for farming tools, new factory machinery and railways and the steam engine was powered by coal
What are factors of production? → the resources that are needed to produce goods and services, Land, Labor and Capital
What did Edmund Cartwright invent? → The Powerloom-used water power and help to mechanize the production of cloth.