5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What was the seed drill?
- What did the Flying Shuttle, Spinning Mule, Spinning Jenny, Water frame and power loom have on the textile industry?
- What was the cottage industry
- Why was there a need for coal and iron?
- What was the impact of the Steam Engine, Steam Boat, better roads and locomotives have on the transportation industry?
- a cheaper transportation, created lots of jobs for railroad workers and miners, boosted agricultural and fishing industries and people traveled more
- b home-based production of textile / cloth and other goods
workers received raw materials from merchants, took the raw materials home and did whatever was required to be done and then returned the finished product
- c Led to the rise of factories because the new machines were too big for homes so the cottage industry came to an end; factories were located by water for power, factories attracted poor unskilled labors
- d put seeds in rows rather than scatter them all around; was more efficient
- e Iron was used for farming tools, new factory machinery and railways and the steam engine was powered by coal
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a piece of land that was planted with different crops in succession so that now Farmers could farm all 4 fields at once instead of leaving one in fallow
- the resources that are needed to produce goods and services, Land, Labor and Capital
- Fields were divided into 3 fields one was FALLOW or left to rest and the other 2 were used for growing grains
- The steam engine- was able to located factories anywhere because a boiler would heat the water into steam with a fire fueled by coal
- Britain had all of the necessary factors of production and a stable political and social conditions that supported economic growth
5 True/False Questions
What new crops were grown? → Corn and potato
What did Edmund Cartwright invent? → The Powerloom-used water power and help to mechanize the production of cloth.
Factor of Production: Capital → Economic Resources; had many rich merchants that were ready to invest money in the new inventions
How did Crop Rotation, the seed drill, and new crops all cause population growth? → some people lost their land and were forced to become poor wage workers
What was farming like before the Industrial Revolution? → life was centered around farming, people were self-sufficient and grew their own food, people never travelled more than 25 miles from home because transportation was SLOW