← GEO2200C Exam 1 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- indirect radiation
- anticyclonic movement
- a condition of earth's atmosphere at a particular time and place; pressure, temperature, moisture.
- b high pressure systems that rotate clockwise
- c contains the ozone layer; oxygen is broken apart due to the UV radiation form the sun, these rxns causes this layer to heat up.
- d allows the sun to shine 24hrs a day on the poles but not cause the temperature to rise.
- e this is were we are; where weather occurs; as you move higher temp. decreases due to moving further away from earth's radiation
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- warming of the Earth due to the insulating effect of gases in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor; need this to survive on earth
- forms when cold air moves under warm air which is less dense and pushes air up (produces thunderstorms heavy rain or snow); increases pressure
- incoming solar radiation; determine's our temperature
- the transfer of energy by waves moving through space; everything radiates depending on it's temperature
- less dense warm air rises over denser cold air
5 True/False Questions
cirrus → Wispy, feathery clouds made of ice crystals that form at high levels.
adiabatic effect → The way Earth's rotation makes winds in the Northern Hemisphere curve to the right and winds in the Southern Hemisphere curve to the left.
hurricane → the average weather conditions in an area over a long period of time; determined by latitude
pressure gradient force → the difference in barometric pressure that exists between adjacent zones of low and high pressure that result in air flow
solstice → Either of two times a year when the sun is farthest from the equator; marks beginning of summer and winter