5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Chiang Kai-Shek
- Salt I Treaty
- Warsaw Pact
- Marshall Plan
- a The program proposed by Secretary of State George Marshall in 1947, under which the US supplied economic aid to European nations to help them rebuild after WWII.
- b Nationalists under China's president in the south. Corrupt and abusive practices drove peasants to Communist side, and he fled.
- c A military alliance formed in 1955 by the Soviet Union and its Eastern European satellites.
- d Nixon's strategy for ending US involvement in war: gradual withdrawal of US troops and their replacement with South Vietnamese forces.
- e a five-year agreement between the US and USSR signed in 1972, that limited the nations' number of intercontinental ballistic missiles and submarine-launched missiles.
5 Multiple choice questions
- an organization formed to run Nixon's 1972 reelection campaign, which was linked to the Watergate scandal.
- US foreign-aid program of 1960s, providing economic and technical assistance to Latin American countries.
- Nixon's attempt to attract the support of Southern conservative Democrats who were unhappy with federal desegregation policies and liberal Supreme Court.
- 1954 case in which the Supreme Court rules that "separate but equal" education for black and white student was unconstitutional.
- a religious group, popularly known as the Black Muslims, founded by Elijah Muhammad to promote black separatism and the Islamic religion.
5 True/False questions
Civil Rights Act of 1964 → A law that banned discrimination on the basis of race, sex, national origin, or religion in public places and most workplaces.
Trade Imbalance → a situation in which a country imports more goods than it exports.
Contras → Nicaraguan rebels who received assistance for the Reagan Admin in their efforts to overthrow the sandinista Government in the 1980s.
HUAC → Developed from a congressional committee created to search out disloyalty before WWII, agency investigating possible Communist influence inside and outside the US.
Free Speech Movement → 1964 project to register African Americans voters in Mississippi