← englsih poetry Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a repetition or duplication of approximate or exact sounds usually in a pattern
- b an adress to a person or personified object not present
- c direct comparison of two unlike objects with outusing like or as
- d occurs when one line of poetry runs into the next. there is no pause at the end of each line.
- e when the opposite of what is expected occurs
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a deliberate exaggeration or overstatement for effect
- appears to the eye to rhyme, but when spoken is not
- statement that seems to be contradictory but that actually presents a truth
- a reference to historical or fictional characters
- repetition of consoant sounds at the end or in the middle of two or more words in a line. sounds similar,but the vowels which precede them are different
5 True/False Questions
personification → the repetition of initial consonant sounds in two or more words
imagery → direct comparison of two unlike objects using like or as
onomatopoeia → a blending of consonant and vowls sounds designed to imitate or sugget a situation or action
understatement → occurs when one line of poetry runs into the next. there is no pause at the end of each line.
antithesis → a figure of speech in which opposing or contrasting ideas are balanced against each other in grammatically parellel syntax.