5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Volative Organic compunds (VOCs)
- nitrogen dioxide
- Clean air act of 1970 &1990
- a Technology to chemically treat gas produced in combustion to remove hazardous components and neutralize acidic gases, turning them into water and aslt, in order to reduce smokestack emissions
- b 1970- legislation set stricter standards for air quality, imposed limits on emissions from new stationary and mobile sources etc.
1990- sought to strengthen regulations pertaining to air quality standards, auto emissins, toxic air pollution etc.
- c carbon-containing chemical used in a =nd emitted by vehicle engines and a wide cariety of solvents and industrial processes, as well as by many household chemical and consumer items.
- d The pattern of atmospheric conditions found accross large geoographic regions over long periods of time
- e a highly reactive, foul smelling reddish brown gas that contributes to smog and acid precipitation.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the ratio of water vapor a given volume of air contains at a given temperature
- A circular current driven by temperature differences, in the air warm air rises into regiona of lower atmospheric pressure, where it expands and cools and then descends and becomes denser.
- signatory nations agreed to cut CFC production in half
- One of the group of human made organic compunds derived from simple hydrocarbons, in which hydrogen atoms are replayed by chlorine, bromine, or flourine. deplete the ozone layer
- A highly toxic, radioactive, colorless gas that seeps up from the ground in areas with certin types of bedrock and can build up inside basements and homes with poor air circulation
5 True/False questions
primary pollutants → Harmful substances produced when primary pollutants interact or react with contituents of the atmosphere
stratosphere → the bottomost layer, blankets earths surface and provides us the air we need to live
Lead → A highly toxic, radioactive, colorless gas that seeps up from the ground in areas with certin types of bedrock and can build up inside basements and homes with poor air circulation
photochemical smog → is formed through light-driven chemical reactions of primary pollutants and normal atmospheric compounds that produce a mix of over100 different chemicals.
Coriolis effect → The apparent deflection of north-south air currents to a partly east-west direction, caused by the faster spin if regions near the equator than of regions near the poles as a result of earth's rotation