5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- montreal protocol
- photochemical smog
- Tropospheric ozone
- Particulate matter
- thermal inversion
- a signatory nations agreed to cut CFC production in half
- b composed of solid or liquid particles small enough to be suspended in the atmosphere.
- c A secondary pollutant, a major component of smog, colorless gas
- d a departure from the normal temperature distribution in the atmosphere, in which a pocket of relavitevly cold air occurs near the ground, with warmer air above it.
- e is formed through light-driven chemical reactions of primary pollutants and normal atmospheric compounds that produce a mix of over100 different chemicals.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- contains air that moves outward away from a center of the system and spirals upward
- Air moves toward the low atmospheric pressure at the center of the system and spirals upward
- a highly reactive, foul smelling reddish brown gas that contributes to smog and acid precipitation.
- a heavy metal that enters the atmosphere as a particular pollutant. Help improve engim=nge preformance.
- A circular current driven by temperature differences, in the air warm air rises into regiona of lower atmospheric pressure, where it expands and cools and then descends and becomes denser.
5 True/False Questions
scrubbers → Technology to chemically treat gas produced in combustion to remove hazardous components and neutralize acidic gases, turning them into water and aslt, in order to reduce smokestack emissions
secondary pollutants → pollutants emitted into the troposphere in a from that can be directly harmful or that can react to form harmful substances
Clean air act of 1970 &1990 → 1970- legislation set stricter standards for air quality, imposed limits on emissions from new stationary and mobile sources etc.
1990- sought to strengthen regulations pertaining to air quality standards, auto emissins, toxic air pollution etc.
warm front → thr boundry along which a colder, drier air mass displaces a warmer, moister air mass
stratosphere → extends 11-50 km above sea level, level above troposphere and below mesosphere