5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- (James Buchanan) Duke
- (Charles) Darwin
- "melting pot"
- Panic of '93
- (William Jennings) Bryan
- a wrote "The Origin of the Species", proponent of natural selection
- b a place such as the United States where diverse racial and ethnic cultures blend to form a new and unified nation
- c 4 years of the worst depression the country had ever seen
- d Democratic presidential nominee in 1896, called "the Great Commoner"
- e popularized tobacco, formed American Tobacco Company
5 Multiple choice questions
- controlling all of one entire segment of an industry
- a naturalist, who wrote "Call of the Wild"
- begun by Ward, this philosophy states that human progress is best achieved through cooperation and that the government should be an active agent for social change
- a tariff reduction that had many unfavorable amendments added to it
- a naturalist, wrote "Maggie: A Girl in the Streets" and "The Red Badge of Courage"
5 True/False questions
urbanization → movement of the population to the cities
Civil Service Commission → controlling every aspect of production
(Benjamin) Harrison → a naturalist, who wrote "Call of the Wild"
Haymarket Riot → riot in which factory workers in Chicago, agitated by anarchists, went on strike- 7 policemen and 4 civilians died
(Roscoe) Conkling → he controlled the New York Republican political machine, similar to Tammany Hall