5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- fundamental orality
- a class, peer group, duty, One social duty according to class and peer group. Your place in life.
- b chant, sometimes untranslatable. The one who speaks them recieves power from the chants.
- c authoritative collection of texts
- d religions were first based on the oral recitation
- e a sacraficial fire, supposed to be a mouth to the gods. There is one kept in the temple, in the school, and in the home.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- "ignorance" we refuse to see that atman and brahman are the same
- "what is remembered," tradition, second class texts
- "illusion" the world is shaped by our fears and desires. we cannot see past to see that atman and brahman are the same
- warriors, soliders
- liberation. Realizing that life is not maya, but everything is brahman. Release from the cycle of samsara.
5 True/False Questions
Visnu → "color" caste
Vaishya → in Hinduism, the seventh incarnation of the god Vishnu
karma → "action," what goes around comes around. Do good deeds now and you will reach moksha or return as a higher caste.
hermeneutics → a close reading of a selection of texts, payings special attention to word choice.
ontology → our meaning systems or world