← Unit 8 Review Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Collective Security
- Safety Valve
- Census 1890
- Roosevelt Corollary
- a (TR) , Roosevelt's 1904 extension of the Monroe Doctrine, stating that the United States has the right to protect its economic interests in South And Central America by using military force, first put into effect in Dominican Republic.
- b a system in which a group of nations acts as one to preserve the peace of all. (United Nations)
- c Theory that when hard times came, the unemployed could migrate west and be prosperous farmers.
Induced urban employers to maintain high wage rates. (Denver, Chicago, St.Louis)
- d abstention from alliances and other international political and economic relations.
- e Superintendent announced that the frontier of the U.S was no longer discernable in 1840- all unsettled grants were now broken into by settlement
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the leader of the Nez Perce tribe that killed white settlers on the way to reservations because they were mad that the government was taking their land, "I will fight no more forever".
- 1887, dismantled American Indian tribes, set up individuals as family heads with 160 acres, tried to make rugged individualists out of the Indians, attempt to assimilate the Indian population into that of the American.
- an association formed by farmers in the last 1800s to make life better for farmers by sharing information about crops, prices, and supplies
- a naval captain who was a leading advocate of sea power and Western Imperialism during the 1880's. In 1890 he published The Influence of Sea Power upon History which said that national greatness and prosperity came from maritime prosperity. He believed that the modern economic development called for a powerful navy and that it was America's "destiny" to control eh Caribbean and build a canal connecting the Pacific and the Caribbean. His ideas were widely popular and widely circulated
- Included people from many Indian nations including Cheyenne, Arapahos, Piutes, and Sioux. Came into great conflict with settlers because settlers did not respect the Indian land.
5 True/False Questions
Election of 1896 → Republican William McKinley defeated Democrat William Jennings Bryan in 1896. Bryan was the nominee of the Democrats, the Populist Party, and the Silver Republicans.Economic issues, including bimetallism, the gold standard, Free Silver, and the tariff, were crucial.
Benevolent Assimilation → (TR) , Roosevelt's 1904 extension of the Monroe Doctrine, stating that the United States has the right to protect its economic interests in South And Central America by using military force, first put into effect in Dominican Republic.
Battle of Wounded Knee → The Wounded Knee Massacre, also known as The Battle at Wounded Knee Creek, was the last major armed conflict between the Lakota Sioux and the United States, subsequently described as a "massacre" by General Nelson A. Miles in a letter to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs.
Annexation of Hawaii → Republicans renominated President McKinley with Theodore Roosevelt as vice president. Democrats nominated William Jennings Bryan, who argued for free silver (1896). Americans accepted the recently enacted gold standard, while Bryan attacked the growth of American imperialism. Philippines was an accomplished fact. The growing national economic prosperity gave McKinley a victory.
Imperialism → abstention from alliances and other international political and economic relations.