5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Weberian Model
- Independent Regulatory Agency
- Iron Triangle
- a The replacement of government services with services provided by private firms.
- b A large organization that is structured hierarchically to carry out specific functions.
- c The three-way alliance among legislators, bureaucrats, and interest groups to make or preserve policies that benefit their respective interests.
- d An agency outside the major executive departments charged with making and implementing rules and regulations.
- e A model of bureaucracy developed by the German sociologist Max Weber, who viewed bureaucracies as rational, hierarchical organizations in which decisions are based on logical reasoning.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The act by which an industry being regulated by a government agency gains direct or indirect control over agency personnel and decision makers.
- The selection, retention, and promotion of government employees on the basis of competitive examinations.
- A model of bureaucracy that views top-level bureaucrats as seeking constantly to expand the size of their budgets and the staffs of their departments or agencies so as to gain greater power and influence in the public sector.
- A law that requires all committee-directed federal agencies to conduct their business regularly in public session.
- A model of bureaucracy that compares bureaucracies to monopolistic business firms. Lack of competition in either circumstance leads to inefficient and costly operations.
5 True/False Questions
Whistleblower → Someone who brings to public attention gross governmental inefficiency or an illegal action.
Administrative Agency → A federal, state, or local government unit established to perform a specific function. Administrative agencies are created and authorized by legislative bodies to administer and enforce specific laws.
Government Corporation → An agency of government that administers a quasi-business enterprise. These corporations are used when activities are primarily commercial.
Pendleton Act (Civil Service Reform Act) → The initial central personnel agency of the national government; created in 1883.
Line Organization → In the federal government, an administrative unit that is directly accountable to the president.