5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Government Corporation
- Issue Network
- Acquistive Model
- a A large organization that is structured hierarchically to carry out specific functions.
- b The act by which an industry being regulated by a government agency gains direct or indirect control over agency personnel and decision makers.
- c An agency of government that administers a quasi-business enterprise. These corporations are used when activities are primarily commercial.
- d A model of bureaucracy that views top-level bureaucrats as seeking constantly to expand the size of their budgets and the staffs of their departments or agencies so as to gain greater power and influence in the public sector.
- e A group of individuals or organizations— which may consist of legislators and legislative staff members, interest group leaders, bureaucrats, the media, scholars, and other experts—that supports a particular policy position on a given issue.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Someone who brings to public attention gross governmental inefficiency or an illegal action.
- An agency outside the major executive departments charged with making and implementing rules and regulations.
- The replacement of government services with services provided by private firms.
- An act that established the principle of employment on the basis of merit and created the Civil Service Commission to administer the personnel service.
- A federal agency that is not part of a cabinet department but reports directly to the president.
5 True/False questions
Civil Service Commission → The initial central personnel agency of the national government; created in 1883.
Cabinet Department → The selection, retention, and promotion of government employees on the basis of competitive examinations.
Iron Triangle → The replacement of government services with services provided by private firms.
Enabling Legislation → A statute enacted by Congress that authorizes the creation of an administrative agency and specifies the name, composition, purpose, and powers of the agency being created.
Line Organization → In the federal government, an administrative unit that is directly accountable to the president.