5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Distinguish between chemically defined, complex and living media.
- trace elements
- cell wall
- a proposed classifying all life into three domains
- b A rigid structure that surrounds the cells of plants and most bacteria
- c Organisms that break down the dead remains of other organisms
- d elements or minerals needed in very small amounts
- e Chemically defined have a know molecular formula
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- An organism that makes ATP by aerobic respiration if oxygen is present but that switches to fermentation under anaerobic conditions.
- a type of light microscope that transforms subtle changes in light waves passing through the specimen into differences in light intensity, best for observing intracellular structures.
- process that requires oxygen
- a capsule made up of a fuzzy coat of sticky sugars
- can only survive in aerobic conditions
5 True/False Questions
Describe selective, differential, and enrichment media → Enrichment media- is used to jump start bacteria growth;Selective - only enables one bacteria to grow; Differential- allows bacteria to show different reactions
Explain the bacterial growth curve and each stage → An organism that makes ATP by aerobic respiration if oxygen is present but that switches to fermentation under anaerobic conditions.
mesophile → Organism that prefers moderate temperatures (20-45C); we are the perfect temp for these organisms
broth → liquid media used for growing cells
List and define the five methods of culturing microorganisms → Lag Phase, Exponential Phase, Stationary Phase, Death Phase