5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a the piling up of images or concrete details. A listing
- b guessed
- c very enthusiastic
- d A literary movement that sought to portray ordinary life as real people live it. Attempted to show characters and events in an objective, almost factual way.
- e to abandon or desert
5 Multiple choice questions
- not easily grasped by the mind
- A type of African-American folk song that fused traditional African music with other familiar materials, such as the Bible or Protestant hymns. Most have double meaning.
- Writing that uses humor to ridicule or criticize individuals, ideas, institutions, social conventions, or other works of art and literature.
- to agree
- to give or leave by will
5 True/False questions
Malign → Writing that uses humor to ridicule or criticize individuals, ideas, institutions, social conventions, or other works of art and literature.
Apprehension → expectation of misfortune
Congenial → compatible
Appease → an external part
The Hemingway Hero → A term first used by Gertrude Stein to describe the post-World War 1 generation of American writers: men and women haunted by a sense of betrayal and emptiness brought about by the destructiveness of war.