5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
- Melanocyte Stimulating Hormone
- a A hormone secreted by the small intestine (duodenum) in response to low pH (e.g., from stomach acid). It promotes the release of bicarbonate from the pancreas to act as a buffer.
- b causes melanocytes to releases melanin (creates a tan)
- c plays a critical role in preventing abnormal consciousness transitions, particularly into REM sleep; may stimulate hunger
- d a protein secreted by fat cells, when abundant causes the brain to increase metabolism and decreases hunger.
- e stimulates the corpus luteum to grow and secrete estrogen and progesterone at a higher rate; pregnancy tests work by detecting this in women's urine
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- "salt-retaining hormone" which promotes the retention of Na+ by the kidneys. Na+ retention promotes water retention, which promotes a higher blood volume and pressure
- an innate brain and spinal cord endorphin that blocks pain signals (opioid)
- hormone produced by the thyroid glands to regulate metabolism by controlling the rate of oxidation in cells
- Produced by the thyroid gland and decreases the blood calcium levels by stimulating calcium deposit in the bones (__________ keeps the bone in). The antagonist of the parathyroid hormone.
- The male sex hormone produced by the testes which promotes the maturation of the reproductive system, development of the male secondary sex characteristics, and is responsible for sexual drive (libido)
5 True/False Questions
Adiponectin → appears to increase insulin effects (sensitivity); anti-inflammatory and anti-arthrogenic
Thymosin → involved in T-cell differentiation and enhancement of T and natural killer cell actions
Growth Hormone Releasing Hormone → signals the release of growth hormone by the anterior pituitary
Renin → a hunger-arousing hormone secreted by an empty stomach
Leukotrienes → fatty molecules of the immune system that regulate inflammation, especially in the lungs; they are heavily involved in the problems associated with asthma and bronchitis