5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Anti-mullerian Hormone
- Antidiuretic Hormone
- a a major estrogen during pregnancy, the estrogen synthesized by the placenta
- b secreted from the adrenal cortex, aids the body during stress by increasing glucose levels and suppressing immune system function
- c In male embryos, turns off the development of a uterus and other female structures.
- d promotes water retention, in high concentrations is also a vasoconstrictor. both of these effects raise the blood pressure
- e antagonist to inhibin: enhances FSH biosynthesis and secretion, and participates in the regulation of the menstrual cycle
5 Multiple choice questions
- fatty molecules of the immune system that regulate inflammation, especially in the lungs; they are heavily involved in the problems associated with asthma and bronchitis
- A hormone secreted by the small intestine (duodenum) in response to low pH (e.g., from stomach acid). It promotes the release of bicarbonate from the pancreas to act as a buffer.
- neurotransmitter found in several brain areas, most notably the hypothalamus, that stimulates eating behavior and reduces metabolism, promoting positive energy balance and weight gain
- enzyme that is produced by the kidney; important for blood pressure and volume regulation; catalyzes the conversion of circulating angiotensinogen to angiotensin I
- circulates in blood plasma and directly stimulates bone and cartilage growth
5 True/False questions
Peptide YY → a protein secreted by fat cells, when abundant causes the brain to increase metabolism and decreases hunger.
Thromboxanes → stimulates production of platelets
Prostaglandins → targets the mammary glands stimulating them to produce breastmilk
Prolactin → a hormone produced by the placenta prior to labor, causes the ligaments within the pelvis to loosen
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin → promotes the utilization of fat by the body and is a precursor to the endorphins