Create an account
2. The microorganisms that recycle nutrients by breaking down dead matter and wastes are called
6. All microorganisms are best defined as organisms that
are too small to be seen with the unaided eye.
8. Which of the following is a unique characteristic of viruses that distinguishes them from the other major groups of microorganisms?
lack cell structure
9. The Dutch merchant who made and used quality magnifying lenses to see and record microorganisms was
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek.
10. Pasteur used swan-neck flasks in his experiments to prove that
dust in the air was a source of living microorganisms
13. Koch's postulates are criteria used to establish that
a specific microbe is the cause of a specific disease.
19. A scientist studying the sequence of nucleotides in the rRNA of a bacterial species is working on
determining evolutionary relatedness
20. A scientist discovers a new microbial species. It is a single-celled eucaryote without cell walls. In which kingdom will it likely be classified?
21. A scientist collects grass clippings to find the source of an outbreak of tularemia is an example of working in the field of
23. All of the following pertain to photosynthesis, except
it occurs only in members of the kingdom Plantae.
25. The surgeon who advocated using disinfectants on hands and in the air prior to surgery was
26. Which scientist showed that anthrax was caused by the bacterium, Bacillus anthracis?
28. When assigning a scientific name to an organism,
both genus and species names are italicized or underlined.
29. The scientist/s that proposed assigning organisms to one of three domains is/are
Carl Woese and George Fox.
36. All of the following contribute to the rise of emerging diseases, except
the decrease in drug resistant bacteria.
38. Which of the following is the correct way to type the scientific name of this bacterium?
40. When microbes are introduced into the environment to restore stability, the process is called
41. Which of the following diseases probably involves microbial infection?
coronary artery disease
42. Cyanide is a chemical used to dissolve gold and is harmful to the environment and organisms living there. A couple of biochemists came up with the idea of using the bacteria Pseudomonas to break down the cyanide used by a Gold mining company. This use of bacteria is a good example of ____.
43. Which of the following branches of Microbiology is important when someone is broken out in hives and experiencing respiratory distress due to an exposure to a microbial toxin?
44. Bacteria and fungi are important in bioremediation. These decomposers are also called ___.
45. Members of the same species share many more characteristics compared to those shared by members of the same kingdom. True False
49. The fossil record has established that prokaryotes existed on earth for approximately 2 billion years before eukaryotes appeared. True False
50. It has been over 25 years since a new infectious disease has emerged in the world. True False
53. During a scientific experiment, the control group is used to directly test or measure the consequences of a variable in the study. True False
54. The scientific method involves formulating a tentative explanation, called the hypothesis, to account for what has been observed or measured. True False
55. Once an organism is assigned to a particular taxonomic hierarchy, it is permanent and cannot be revised. True False
58. One distinguishing characteristic of the archaebacteria is that they live in extreme environments. True False
59. The scientific field called _____ is involved in the identification, classification, and naming of organisms.
60. _____ is the area of biology that states that living things undergo gradual structural and functional changes over long periods of time.
61. Living things ordinarily too small to be seen with the unaided eye are termed _____.
62. _____ are the group of microorganisms composed only of hereditary material wrapped in a protein covering.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together