12. The endosymbiotic theory says that precursor eukaryotic cells acquired flagella by endosymbiosis with a _____ ancestor, and others gained photosynthetic ability from endosymbiosis with a _____ ancestor.
13. The cell's series of tunnel-like membranes functioning in transport and storage are the
14. An organelle that is a stack of flattened, membranous sacs and functions to receive, modify, and package proteins for cell secretion is the
15. Which organelle contains cristae where enzymes and electron carriers for aerobic respiration are found?
16. Organelles found in algae but not found in protozoa or fungi are the
17. Protists with contractile vacuoles
use them to expel excess water from the cell.
18. The cytoskeleton
anchors organelles. provides support. functions in movements of the cytoplasm. helps maintain cell shape.
19. The size of a eukaryotic cell ribosome is
20. Filamentous fungi are called
21. When buds remain attached, they form a chain of yeast cells called
22. Fungi that grow as yeast at one temperature but will grow as mold at another temperature are called
23. Fungal spores
are used to identify fungi.
24. Which of the following spores are produced within a sac?
25. Which of the following spores are sexually produced?
26. A mold is observed to have asexual conidia, sexual spores within a sac, and septate hyphae. It is most likely classified in the
27. What do zygospores, ascospores, and basidiospores have in common?
They are sexual spores.
28. Which is not a characteristic of fungi?
29. Blooms of certain dinoflagellates are associated with all of the following except
30. Which is mismatched?
Pyrrophyta - euglenids
31. All of the following are found in some or all protozoa except
32. The motile, feeding stage of protozoa is called the
33. The group of protozoa that have flagella are the
34. Which is mismatched?
Plasmodium - causes Chagas disease
35. All of the following are helminths except
36. Which of the following does not pertain to helminths?
in kingdom Protista
37. Larvae and eggs are developmental forms of
38. Both fish and humans develop neurological symptoms and bloody skin lesions due to a sudden "bloom" of this algae.
39. The stacks of thylakoids in a chloroplast are called
40. In order to reproduce sexually, diploid cells must produce _________ gametes through ________.
41. The smooth endoplasmic reticulum functions in synthesis of ___________.
42. Which of the following are present in viruses?
43. On what basis are fungi classified as Fungi Imperfecti, or Deuteromycota?
Based on if the fungus lacks a sexual state.
44. Which of the following is the cause of malaria?
45. Sources for human infection with worms are all of the following except
46. All of the following are correct about helminthes except
47. The organelle involved in intracellular digestion of food particles is the
48. Which of the following is in the correct order?
metaphase, anaphase, cytokinesis, telophase
49. Chromosomes are not visible in the nucleus unless the cell is undergoing nuclear division. True False
50. Eukaryotic mitochondria have their own 70S ribosomes and circular DNA. True False
51. The eukaryotic cell membrane is a bilayer of sterols. True False
52. Infections caused by fungi are called mycoses. True False
53. The only Division of fungi that contains human pathogens is the Deuteromycota. True False
54. All fungi have hyphae. True False
55. All algae have chloroplasts. True False
56. Algae are classified into Divisions based principally on their type of motility. True False
57. Plankton are floating communities of helminths. True False
58. Fungi are autotrophic. True False
59. Biologists have found evidence that eukaryotic cells evolved from prokaryotic organisms by a process of intracellular _____.
60. There are nine peripheral pairs and one central pair of _____ found inside eukaryotic flagella and cilia.
61. The passageways in the nuclear envelope for movement of substances to and from the nucleus and cytoplasm are called nuclear _____.
62. Proteins associated with DNA in the nucleus of eukaryotic cells are called _______.
63. A _____ originates from the Golgi apparatus as one type of vesicle that contains a variety of enzymes for intracellular digestion.
64. Chloroplasts are composed of membranous sacs called _____ that carry chlorophyll. Surrounding these sacs is a ground substance called _____.
65. In eukaryotic cells, ribosomes have two locations: scattered in the _____, and on the surface of _____.
cytoplasm, rough er
66. The long, thread-like branching cells of molds are called _____.
67. During unfavorable growth conditions, many protozoa can convert to a resistant, dormant stage called a _____.