What is nonverbal communication? Why is it important to effective public speaking?
1. Nonverbal communication is based on a person's use of voice and body, rather than on the use of words. 2. Effective delivery conveys the speaker's ideas clearly, engagingly, and without distracting then audience.
What are the elements of good speech delivery?
1. Directness 2. Spontaneity 3. Animation 4. Vocal and facial expressiveness 5. Lively sense of communication
What are the four methods of speech delivery?
1. Reading verbatim from a manuscript 2. Reciting a memorized text 3. Speaking impromptu 4. Speaking extemporaneously
What are the eight aspects of voice usage you should concentrate on in your speeches?
What are four aspects of bodily action you should concentrate on in your speeches?
1. Personal appearance 2. Movement 3. Gestures 4. Eye contact
What are the five steps you should follow when practicing your speech delivery?
1. Go through your preparation outline aloud to check how what you have written translates into spoken discourse. 2. Prepare your speaking outline. 3. Practice the speech aloud several times using only the speaking outline. 4. Begin to polish and refine your delivery. 5. Give your speech a dress rehearsal under conditions as close as possible to those you will face in class.
What steps should you take when preparing for a question-and-answer session? What should you concentrate on when responding to questions during the session?
1. A) Formulate answers to possible questions B) Practice the delivery of your answers 2. A) Approach questions with a positive attitude B) Listen carefully C) Direct answers to the entire audience D) Be honest and straightforward E) Stay on track
What eight steps should you take if you are faced with presenting an online speech?
1. Understand the special nature of the online environment 2. Know your technology 3. Control the visual environment 4. Adapt your nonverbal communication 5. Adjust your pacing for the online environment 6. Manage Q&A for the online environment 7. Rehearse for the online environment 8. Have a backup plan