5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Intertidal Zone
- Sublittoral Zone
- Pack Ice
- a The shallowest benthic zone that lies between the low-tide and high-tide lines.
- b A layer in a body of water in which water temperature drops with increased depth faster than it does in other layers.
- c A process of removing salt from ocean water.
- d A floating layer of sea ice that completely covers an area of the ocean surface.
- e The shallow benthic zone that most organisms live in; located on the continental shelves and is populated by organisms such as sea stars, brittle stars, and sea lilies.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The movement of deep, cold, and nutrient-rich water to the surface.
- Elements that exist in very small amounts.
ex: gold, zinc, and phosphorus.
- Microscopic plants in the ocean that provide food to many of the ocean's organisms.
- A measure of the amount of dissolved salts in a given amount of liquid. It can be written as salinity = 35 parts per thousand, or 35%.
- Organisms that live at the bottom of oceans or bodies of fresh water.
5 True/False questions
Density → Organisms that live at the bottom of oceans or bodies of fresh water.
Bathyal Zone → The bottom region of oceans and bodies of fresh water.
Aquaculture → The raising of aquatic plants and animals for human use or consumption.
Plankton → All organisms that swim actively in open water, independent of currents
Neritic Zone → The area of the pelagic zone above the continental shelves. Has abundant sunlight, moderate temperatures, and relatively low water pressure.