5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Define Duxelle.
- What are the characteristics of a well made consommé?
- a The characteristics of a well made consommé is it must be rich in flavor, and color, crystal clear with no trace of fats.
- b the process of obtaining something from a mixture or compound by chemical or physical or mechanical means
- c Duxelle: An apparell of ﬁnely chopped mushroom and shallots sautéed gently with butter, used as a stufﬁng, garnish, or as a ﬂavoring in soups and sauces.
- d is a highly reduced stock, broth or remouillage.
- e The French term for stock. Also describes the pan drippings remaining after sautéing or roasting food. It is often deglazed and used as a base for sauces.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Stainless steel heavy-gauge saucepot
- Cook the flour in butter and to decrease the amount of lumps.
- traditionally a soup based on a béchamel sauce, any soup with cream.
- the seeds of certain pod plants, including beans and peas, which are eaten for their earthy flavors and high nutritional value. Also the French word for vegetable.
- There are two basic variations of onion soup namely:
a. White Onion
i. Onions are cooked until wilted not browned,
ii. not served with croutons or cheese
iii. This version is very clean and is associated with ﬁne dining to prevent the guests from getting stained.
b. Onion Soup Gratinee
i. the onions are browned
ii. the soup is topped with croutons, cheese and breadcrumbs
iii. this version is usually associated with a more casual dining experience because it is much messier to eat.
5 True/False questions
Manhattan style chowder → Thickened with flour usually contains pork, potatoes and dairy, traditional
What are the steps and food safety concerns when re-heating hearty broths for service? → *thickening agent
CARAMELIZATION → A.INGREDIENTS: Fruit, Onions, Sugar
B. TEMP: (Glucose 300 Degrees) (Sucrose: 340 Degrees)
C. FLAVOR PROFILE: Caramelization brings out the sugar molecules by breaking them down.
Ribbon → the swirls or lines located at the bottom of mixture while whisking.
What is the formula for making fish stock or fumet? → It doesn't matter what the garnish maybe, what does matter is that it should be well prepared. Vegetables should be cut neatly and precisely. Royales should be delicately set, soft, and supple in the mouth.