5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Name another hearty broth besides Beef Vegetable Soup.
- What is the basic formula for 1 gallon of finished consommé?
- What is the formula for making fish stock or fumet?
- Temporary emulsion
- a Don't hold long after emulsifying *Basic vinaigrettes (no stabilizer)
- b Minestrone, Beef Barley, French Onion
- c is a highly reduced stock, broth or remouillage.
- d 1 lb Mirepoix
3lb Lean ground meat
12 Egg whites
10 oz Tomato, chopped (NO paste)
2 T Salt
6 qt cool liquid (stock or broth)
- e Fish Fumet Basic Formula
Yield 1 gallon
Fish bones (non-oily); cut in 2" pieces 11lb.
White Mirepoix 1lb.
Water 3.5 qts.
White wine 1qt.
Mushrooms, sliced 10 ozs.
Salt (optional) 2 Tbsp.
1. Sweat mirepoix followed by the fish bones in formula above prior to adding water.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Game glaze
- to draw off (a liquid) without disturbing the sediment or the lower liquid layers
- Sancocho,Sopa de mondongo ,Kukul Mas Mollagathanni (any soup)
- There are two types of ways to clarify butter decanting method which is when one places the whole butter in a bain marie insert, Place insert in a pot of simmering water, Heat butter sufficiently enough for its water and milk solids to fall to bottom, Skim foam off surface as it forms, Ladle clarified butterfat off upper portion, being very careful not to include any water or solids, if not needed immediately, cool in ice-bath, cover, and label. Simmering Method is when one brings the whole butter to a simmer in a saucepot. Then one skims the foam off surface as it forms, continue simmering butter over moderate heat until the butter changes from a cloudy appearance to a clear one. (The water will evaporate out of the butter and the milk solids will eventually drop to the bottom). When the milk solids just barely change color, remove from heat, strain through cheesecloth or filter cone. If not needed immediately, cool in ice-bath, cover, and label.
- When a warm liquid is put into an ice bath to cool it down
5 True/False questions
Mince/mincing → to chop into very small pieces
Broth → An appareil containing equal parts of flour and fat, usually butter, used to thicken liquids. Roux is cooked to varying degrees (white, blond, brown or dark, depending on its intended use. The darker the roux, the less thickening power it has but the fuller the taste.
Al dente → to Cook to the bite
Cream soup → one of several basic sauce that are used in the preparation of many other small sauce.
What are the characteristics of a well made stock? → Flavor (taste good/well balanced flavors), Color (NOT COULDY), Aroma (Smell good) and body (some stickiness).