5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- How many plays did Aeschylus write?
- How did the size of the chorus change over time?
- How did Oedipus kill his father and marry his mother?
- The play Aristotle chose as an ideal example of Greek Tragedy
- Who is the only comedy playwright whose work survived intact?
- a Started as 50, shrank to 12 with Aeschylus then back up to 15 with Sophocles
- b Laius and Iacosta's baby was saved by shepherds after it had been left to die in the mountains. He was raised in Corinth and later killed Laius and married Iacosta after he defeated the sphinx.
- c 70
- d Aristophanes
- e Sophocles' Oedipus the King
5 Multiple choice questions
- The seer tells Oedipus he is the murderer of the previous Theban king
- An oracle told him he would kill his father and marry his mother
5 True/False questions
Describe the mask → covered the whole head, included hair, eyes and slightly open mouth. Exaggerated expression, one emotion, over-sized
What did Oedipus do after he discovered the truth? → Blinds himself
Materials used to make masks → 1. In large theatres normal facial expressions could not be seen, 2. may have acted as a megaphone to amplify their voices.
How many of Aeschylus' plays have survived? → only 7 complete plays survived
playwright → no violence on stage