5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The Russian psychologist Vygotsky suggested that children's ability to solve problems is enhanced by
A) basic trust.
B) interaction with the social environment
- Although identical twins have been shown to have some amazing psychological similarities, one should be cautious about attributing these similarities to genetic factors because
A) the twins may have been raised in completely different environments.
B) genetic factors influence physical, not psychological, characteristics.
C) any two strangers are likely to share a string of coincidental similarities.
D) many fraternal twins have been shown to be psychologically different from each other.
- Which of the following is an example of imprinting?
A) A 2-year-old poodle approaches a stranger who calls it.
B) A 4-year-old boy imitates aggression he sees on television.
C) A duckling demonstrates attachment to a bouncing ball.
D) A 3-year-old girl is simultaneously learning two different languages
- The cocktail party effect provides an example of
A) choice blindness.
B) serial processing.
C) selective attention.
D) explicit memory.
- The rhythmic bursts of brain activity that occur during Stage 2 sleep are called
A) alpha waves.
B) circadian rhythms.
C) sleep spindles.
D) delta waves.
- a C) selective attention.
- b C) any two strangers are likely to share a string of coincidental similarities.
- c C) A duckling demonstrates attachment to a bouncing ball.
- d B) interaction with the social environment
- e C) sleep spindles
5 Multiple choice questions
- D) our awareness of ourselves and our environment
- B) conservation.
- C) are not very similar to the personalities of their adoptive parents.
- C) behavior genetics.
- D) Asperger syndrome
5 True/False questions
Unlike ducklings, children do not imprint. Their fondness for certain people, however, is fostered by
C) mere exposure.
D) infantile amnesia. → C) mere exposure.
Forty-year-old Lance insists that he never dreams. Research suggests that he probably
A) would report a vivid dream if he were awakened during REM sleep.
B) dreams during Stage 4 rather than during REM sleep.
C) experiences more Stage 4 sleep than most people.
D) passes through the sleep cycle much more rapidly than most people. → D) home environment than by peers.
Compared with identical twins, fraternal twins are ________ similar in neuroticism and ________ similar in risk of divorcing.
A) more; less
B) less; more
C) more; more
D) less; less → D) less; less
Under the influence of alcohol, angered people are ________ likely to be aggressive than they would otherwise be and restaurant patrons are ________ likely to tip generously than they otherwise would.
A) more; more
B) less; less
C) more; less
D) less; more → A) more; more
According to Piaget, a person first comprehends that division is the reverse of multiplication during the ________ stage.
B) concrete operational
C) formal operational
D) sensorimotor → B) concrete operational