*Males take their own lives at nearly four times the rate of females and represent 79.4% of all U.S. suicides.
• During their lifetime, women attempt suicide about two to three times more often than men.
• 8th leading cause of death for males and the 17th leading cause for females.
• Among males, adults aged 75 years and older have the highest rate of suicide (nearly 38 per 100,000 population).
• Among females, those in their 40s and 50s have the highest rate of suicide (nearly 8 per 100,000 population).
• Firearms most commonly used method of suicide among males (approximately 58%).
• Poisoning most common method of suicide for females (39%).