Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 17: The Expansion of Europe Main Ideas
Terms in this set (5)
What important developments led to increased agricultural production, and how did these changes affect peasants?
- enclosure system
- rotation of crops
- selective breeding with livestock
- peasants did not have land to use as farming ground or pasture.
Why did the European population rise dramatically in the eighteenth century?
- first it was an irregular cycle.
- more women began to have more babies because they found jobs in the rural industry.
- there were fewer death rates. (The plague seemed to disappear.)
- improvements in water supply and sewage so there were less bugs and insects that spread the plague.
- famines, epidemics, and warfare still occurred but caused less population death.
How and why did rural industry intensify in the eighteenth century?
- cottage industry
- putting-out system
- family business in looming. Men used the loom and women and children prepared the threads that go on the loom.
- industrious revolution
- family members began to work for wages and not for a family business.
What were guilds, and why did they become controversial in the eighteenth century?
- guilds were systems in which a merchant could hire people to produce goods.
- they were mainly for skilled people.
- they had a lot or restrictions and you had to pay to be part of one.
- cottage houses began to develop and were preferred over guilds.
How did colonial markets boost Europe's economic and social development, and what conflicts and adversity did world trade entail?
- Atlantic slave trade
- mixed-raced children were common.
- British women campaigned for the abolition of slavery.
- parliament abolished the British slave trade but slavery still occurred in the British colonies.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Chapter 15: Absolutism and Constitutionalism Main…
Chapter 18: Life in the Era of Expansion Main Ideas
Chapter 19: Revolution in Politics Main Ideas
Chapter 21: Ideologies and Upheavals Main Ideas
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 17 and 18 Syllabus
AP European History: (Chapter 17: The Ex…
AP Euro Chapter 18 Plus
AP European Chapter 15 and 16 Study
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
IS Unit System
Elements 1-20 + First Group
Polyatomic Ions #1
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Ch. 34 Essential Questions
APUSH Ch. 3
final exam questions
History Unit 4 Questions